3 Marketers Went Head-To-Head, Here Are The Results

Show first post

37 replies

I’m a big user of multi-step forms. You can do this by making the form redirect to another URL where you have essentially duplicated your landing page. Just append the form data using the check box and then on the form on the second page, include the hidden fields with the names from those fields in step 1. That way you can pull all the data over!

in Julien’s variant I see a form with several steps and I’m very interested to know how we do them on unbounce 😜

Thank you Jess for this very interesting test.
But I am not used to with the 3 marketers in contest, who is who ?
I cannot measure which landing corresponds to which color
The marketers names are missing on the result graph

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m really glad you brought that up!! We did run these pages alongside the original variant! I didn’t include it in the screenshot in an effort to show how their particular variants performed. When I’m back on my laptop tomorrow I can include a more detailed breakdown of how they all stacked up.

Thanks for weighing in, Joe!

Firstly let me just say I love these LP competitions! I’m a big fan of seeing other marketers creations on Unbounce and I hope we see more soon.

Personally I’d have gone a different route with page design and content, but I think all 3 marketers did a great job stripping the page down and retuning it in their different styles.

It was a shame to see that the overall CR declined. Although we live in turbulent times, I think that the declining CR had more to do with the increased Google/ FB ad budgets during the test, thus pumping in a ton more traffic that wasn’t present in February.

Most experienced marketers know that if you suddenly up ad budgets to the point it nearly doubles the page visitors, there’s going to be a big increase in junk traffic too.

I feel bad for Nicholas, Adam and Julien. If the original LP had been entered into the test and ran alongside the 3 test variants, we’d have got a cleaner result and the benefits of their optimisations would have been more obvious.

Still great work guys!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You’re not wrong, the conversion rate did decrease, however the number of conversions has gone up. As you can see in the post, in one month this campaign went from 30 conversions to 125 conversions, with the help of Smart Traffic.

Overall, while it’s tempting to want to see a higher conversion rate — the real results are in the number of conversions. Especially considering that’s the number that turns into sales.

The conversion rate decreased. Just by a bit, but still: it decreased. More traffic = more total conversions.
What exactly is the “improvement”? Great post, but no impact from testing and smart traffic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There are a few questions here but I’ll get to this one first!

@bliffy I can see how you might think that, however, it really comes down to traffic<>conversions. The amount of traffic heading to these variants increased (by quite a lot), and while there was a significant increase in conversions in the month of March, the ratio of traffic to conversions led to a lower overall conversion rate. Does that make sense? Let me know and I can get into a bit finer detail.

Good question @vramayrat! What we typically look for in these series is:

1. Traffic – do you have enough visitors for Smart Traffic to be able to learn from?
  2. Brand – do you have enough assets to share amongst the folks building variants so that they have enough materials to work with?
  3. Room for improvement – do you have a landing page that can really be improved? We have some applicants who have 30+ conversion rates and at that point there’s not a lot to be done at that point.
  4. Openness – these contests require full access to your content, and you’re putting a lot of trust into the hands of the experts.
  5. Access to Smart Traffic, this is available on our 2017 and later price plans.

It’s not a concrete list but those are the top criteria that we consider when pages are submitted. I’d be happy to loop you in to the next one if you’d like, to make sure you don’t miss it? Let me know 🙂

Lovin’ this engagement 🔥

-Jess

So the experts lowered his conversion rate?
Was the original page in the test? If not, why not?
Sounds like the results were garbage.

This is such a great series, thanks for organizing Jess and for all the contenders, well done! So many good insights!

Badge +2

Great job!

This is nice Jess.
Thank you.

How can one be ‘selected’ for future rounds?

-v