Installing Facebook tracking pixel to measure email form submissions?

• 29 January 2014
  • 36 replies

Hello,

I’m trying to create a Facebook ad that optimizes for conversions. The conversion goal is simply submitting an email on my Unbounce landing page. My landing page is hosted on a subdomain of my website.

To create this ad, you have to create and install a tracking pixel. Facebook instructs the following: “
Copy and paste the following code between and on the page of your website you want to track actions. For example, to track registrations, place the code on your ‘registration completed’ web page.

For the landing page, this would be the “Thank You” confirmation page. Do I add the pixel there with the custom HTML tool?

Thanks!

36 replies

I’m having the exact same issue.  Please advise.

We’ve put it only in the confirmation dialog. The thing is that it’s saying it takes too long to load it (something like 20s). Why? Because it’s counting the time from filling the form. How do I track it once the send button was clicked?

@Eric
You’ll can use script manager, but you’ll want to insert the script on all  form confirmation dialogues _, not all pages. 

@David,
You’re right, it should only be on the Form Confirmation dialogue. If you’ve only published it there, you shouldn’t be seeing it on your main landing page as well. If you’re running into issues with this one, feel free to reach out to our support team so we can dig in directly: support@unbounce.com

Just a question, Facebook says that the Pixel conversion must be on “Thank You” page, so for me is on the Form confirmation dialog. If i insert the script on the “Form confirmation dialog” it appears also on the page. So, Facebook consider a conversion each print of the page and also of the form and the optimization is not correct.

How i can show only the script on the confirmation form dialog?

thank you

Hi!

If want to place the new FB Pixel on ALL pages, can I simply go to Settings > Script Manager , or do I need to insert the pixel manually on every single page and variant?

Hi Keith, 
Set the  placement  _to:  _Head _

That should do it!

Now I am confused. Which dropdown? Head or Before Body End Tag as instructed higher up in the thread?

I have multiple Facebook Ad Sets targeting different audiences. In this case, do I have a Facebook pixel for each audience and then copy/paste multiple pixels on the confirmation page? Or is it best practice to have just have 1 Facebook pixel to rule them all? – Thanks so much!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hey Everyone - Just to clarify, because there’s some confusion in this thread, the Facebook Tracking Pixel should now be placed in the head of your page, as per Facebook’s instructions.

When they first rolled out tracking, we were getting reports that it was firing intermittently and moving it before the end body tag gave the page time to load. Since then, something’s changed on Facebook’s end and it works as per their instructions.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Marcilio - Facebook has a Chrome Extension called Facebook Pixel Helper that you can use to check if the pixel is firing correctly. You can get more info, including instructions about how to run the checks and the link to add the extension here.

That’s good but how can I test if the conversion pixel is working? I mean, I set the code between head tag and put the pixel in the submit button. But how can I know if the pixel in the button is working?

Hi Akshay,
Facebook asks users to place the snippet between < head\> and \</head\> . I know that can seem confusing but in Unbounce that means “Before Body End Tag” not the “Head.” We’d recommend changing it to “Before Body End Tag,” waiting 48hrs then it should work a-ok. Hope that helps!

Edit: Actually, it seems to be working in the

now, so I would advise keeping it as you have it now instead. Sorry for the confusion!

I put it in the before body place,but when I tried out the fb helper tool,it said that the script is taking too long to load,and i might miss tracking many conversions this way.(EDIT:It seems to be working with the head placement though)

Awesome - thanks Justin.

Hi Sam, 

I went ahead and took a dive into your Unbounce page, and it looks like you have the conversion code on the *main page* instead of the *form confirmation dialogue*. This means that anyone who lands on the page will be counted as a conversion, which is likely not what you want to happen. I would remove the javascript from the main page and place it on the form confirmation dialogue instead. 

I’ve followed these steps and Facebook is tracking email conversions on my campaigns; however, the number of email conversions attributed in Facebook is an order of magnitude greater than the emails counted in Unbounce.

Here’s a screencap of the javascript. Any feedback is appreciated!

awesome thank you Quinn! 🙂

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Jen - it looks like you have curly quotes instead of straight quotes in parts of your code. If you change them all to straight, that should get rid of the error.

I’m actually not sure if it’s required for Javascript, but the HTML at the bottom definitely won’t render properly with the curly quotes.

My JS manager is saying “invalid” - ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi there - no changes on our end. That placement drop down just puts the code in a certain location on the page.

Before, even though Facebook’s instructions said to put the code in the head, we’d see it fire intermittently instead of all the time (but it worked when it was before the end body tag, which gave time for the page to load). Facebook may have adjusted something on their end slightly, so placing it in the head’s ore reliable now.

Hi everyone,

I similar issues, but it actually worked when I used “head” in unbounce and not “before body end tag.”

Has unbounce made changes to this the past few months?

aaahhhh okay that makes a lot of sense. thanks for the concise and quick response!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Kayla - the Facebook tracking pixel only tracks a conversion after someone has clicked through from a Facebook ad, so if you’ve got a landing page that you’re driving traffic to from multiple sources, Unbounce will count any form fill, but your Facebook Conversion Pixel would only count the conversions that are driven specifically from Facebook.

This might be a dumb question…but why go through all this trouble to track email submissions? Won’t you get the emails that were submitted? Doesn’t that alone help you “track” how your email submission page is doing? What information does this pixel give you that you don’t know simply by how many email submissions you get?