[How to] Create a Typed Text Effect In Unbounce

• 30 January 2017
  • 90 replies

Show first post

90 replies

Hi: I got this all to work great in Preview Mode but live it just shows “text” . refreshed, resaved, tried alt browser with same result. Each time the Preview looks fine. Any suggestions? Thanks.

text source

text

Badge

Beautiful, thanks @Noah!

Userlevel 7

@Andy2 + @Andy_Walker + @MPatterson22 , increasing the typeSpeed value will slow down the typing of the letters. You can also set the time before the typing starts by adding a startDelay variable with a value, and the backspacing speed with the backSpeed variable.

All together, your script might look something like this:

$(function(){
        //Replace .element with the class or ID of your target text
        $("#typed").typed({
            //Replace placeholder text with your own text
            strings: ["test", "test2"],
            //change speed
            typeSpeed: 100,
            // time before typing starts
            startDelay: 100,
            // backspacing speed
            backSpeed: 100,
            //loop the animation
	        loop: true
        });
    });

You can see all the custom options here: https://github.com/mattboldt/typed.js/.

I hope that helps!

Hi all, is there a way to slow this down? I see the default value for speed is set at ‘0’

This looks great and looking to implement it soon. Related question based on the Landing Page example in the original post. Is there an article that describes how to implement the animated background? Can’t seem to find that in the community so that I would just come back here and ask!

@Jess @Noah

You are surely going to need an Unbounce page for that @Jess ? 😛

hello…I’m beyond beginner level here, so apologies for the elementary question. I got the text effect to work but I’m being a bit ambitious with having two different text box’s that will do it (one below the other). When I try and do this, it seems like the script overrides the first one and I only get 1 of them to work. Any tips/suggestions? I don’t want to give up on this dream lol! Thank you in advance!

Badge

Got another one for you! How do you change the timing of how quickly the text changes, and also how quickly it actually spells out each segment of text?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hahah! 😂

Good grief, I better sign up for marriage counselling certification.

Badge

Thanks @Jess! I got it working. And will never apologize for anything ever again. (I’ll let my fiancee know that you told me that was okay… 😀 )

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Andy2!

Never apologize for n00b questions, I love 'em! Here’s a clip to give you an idea of where to plug in some of those scripts:

Feel free to chime in if you have any other questions, n00b-level or otherwise 🙂

Badge

Apologies for noob question, but how do I link to the script? Do I place into the section for javascripts or stylesheets? And if the former, which section of the page?

This is such a fantastic update Noah! One question: what would be an example integer to slow down the type speed? As it’s already at zero, would you go into negative?

Hey @Timothy_Hatch!

<insert catchy space-themed pop culture reference here>

Now that that’s out of the way, here’s a little gem that might help. If you click here you can download the actual .unbounce page and load it directly into your account. This way you can essentially reverse engineer the page to see how everything’s working.

I always find this the easiest way to get sorted when I get stuck on @Noah’s more advanced scripts. 🙂

Let me know if this helps!

I am totally Han Solo when talking into the comlink to the Empire Guards in Ep. IV when they are rescuing Princess Leia…“Uh, everything’s ok, situation normal…we’re fine here, how’ve you been…?” I am totally out of my element. I’ve read this entire thread, twice…anybody willing to send me a screen shot video walkthrough? I’ll buy you a drink at the Mos Eisley Cantina!

So, how do I get to Tashi Station and get those Type Text Effect Power Converters?

"Whaddah you think you’re some kinda Jedi waving your hand around…?

Userlevel 7

my pleasure :dealwithitparrot:

it worked!

Thanks for the prompt response Noah, you’re THE man haha

Userlevel 7

hey @Oleksandr_Ponomarenk, can you try using the ID ‘#typed’ in your script as opposed to the ID of your textbox?

@Noah Hey, it looks great when it works 😉

Here’s a link to how it does it on my end - http://offer.teensafe.com/blank-page/

Following all your steps I got the text “typed” but here’s the issue. For some reason it doesn’t type with the same font specs and uses default paragraph text.

Any chance you could take a look into this? It seems that I’m doing everything right?

Userlevel 7

@Zoltan nice catch!

@Timothy_Hatch my apologies, the js snippet was actually referencing a ‘.element’ class whereas the the instructions reference the ID ‘typed’. I think this may have been causing your issue. I’ve updated the js snippet to correctly reference the ‘typed’ ID. Take a look here: https://gist.github.com/noahub/59f4bb0db7c6ec353709efdcbe1761dc24

Hey Tim, I was having the same issue and I too am not a coder. I finally ended up using Noah’s original source code that had a span class=“element” instead of span id=“typed” for the text box and keeping everything else in the script the same (except the changing sentences of course).

Okay, I know this should be easy, but I’m gettin’ nowhere. I can do the first step, but nothing happens. The steps 3-6 are to infinity and beyond for me right now…I’d love to be able to offer this feature on my landing pages…another day perhaps. Thanks for your efforts to bring this padewan further into the jedi coding space.

Do I have to shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level here? IN other words, after the text is surrounded, do I have to add the script from your original post?

Hmmm…I know I can do this but, Dammit Noah, I’m a marketing strategist not a coding master!

Perhaps I should be using the Force? I must unlearn what I have learned.