[How To] Add Tabbed Sections

• 16 February 2017
  • 63 replies

Userlevel 7
  • Former Unbouncer
  • 126 replies

There have been multiple requests in our Community to achieve this functionality, and thanks to a bit of code and a lot of trial & error - we’re stoked to announce the newest addition to Tips and Scripts

Introducing: Tabbed Sections In Unbounce Landing Pages :spinbounce::gif_master:

Tabbed content areas are a great way to pack sections of content into a neat, concise area with a nice user experience.

You can see this in action (built in Unbounce) here:

Bear in mind, this functionality takes a bit of finesse, so if you’re brand new to using custom Javascript in your Unbounce landing pages - feel free to pop into the Community here if you need some troubleshooting.

How to Install in Unbounce

Click Here for Instructions

🚨
This is not an official Unbounce feature. This functionality is based entirely on third party code, and has only been tested in limited applications. Since this isn’t a supported Unbounce feature, our support team will be unable to assist if things go awry. So if you are not comfortable with HTML, Javascript and CSS, please consider consulting an experienced developer.

First, go grab the latest scripts:

https://gist.github.com/noahub/fc3ed61f29d0176e2db53c7862033da9

Step 1.

Create a box element that will contain your tabbed content sub-navigation buttons.

Step 2.

Create a larger box element below your first box that will contain your tabbed content sub-navigation content.

Step 3.

Create your sub-navigation button elements and nest them in your first box in order.

Step 4.

Create a new box element, fill it with your desired content, nest it in the content container, then hide it. Create a second content box, fill with content, nest it in the container, then hide it., etc. etc

Step 5.

Select your first button, add the ID of the first content box to the ‘Go to URL’ field. Repeat for all subsequent buttons/boxes.

Step 6.

Copy the javascript in ‘tabbed_section.js’ and paste in your Javascripts section.

Step 7.

Update the javascript with your button and content box element IDs.

Step 8.

Copy the CSS in ‘tabbed_section.css’ and paste in your Stylesheets section.

Step 9.

Update the colors in the CSS snippet to reflect the desired appearance of your ‘active’ tab

You’re done! Now sit back and let the conversions roll in… :gif_master:

Can’t see the instructions? Log-in or Join the Community to get access immediately. 🚀

Want to take your Unbounce landing pages + Convertables™ to the next level?
:spinbounce: Check out the Ultimate List of Unbounce Tips, Scripts & Hacks

63 replies

@Michael_McInnes1 
Is there a way to auto adjust section(lp-pom-block)  height accordint to tab content?

@Noah 

How i can use this tab twice on one page?

How i can use this tab twice on one page?

@Noah thank you for this!

I’ve managed to make it load randomly if anyone is interested. You’ll have to remove the last line in the provided jQuery

DELETE THIS
//onload, make first button active
navButtons.first().addClass(‘active’);

ADD THIS:
//------------- RANDOMISER -------
var random = Math.floor(Math.random() * 1000);

//Replce “.tab-button” with your button custom class
var $a = $(".tab-button");
$a.eq(random % $a.length).addClass(“active”);

//------------- TRIGGER CLICK FUNCTION -------
$( document ).ready(function() {

$(’.active’).trigger(‘click’);

});

Thanks, this helped clarify a couple things for me that weren’t detailed in the instructions.

Thank you!

Does anyone know how to make the button in the tabbed section the main one that shows first when the page loads? Right now I have it where the end button on my navigation bar is the one that shows up first as the main active button in the nav bar but I want to have the first button in my nav bar show up as the active button when the page loads. Here’s a page to show you what I’m talking about: https://ad.bintheredumpthatusa.com/greensboro/
It’s showing the 4 yard bin button first when I want the 20 yard bin button to show as the active button first when the page loads. Any help is much appreciated!
-ryan

I need to put this tabbed section in more than one section of my page. Has anyone been able to do that yet?

Oops! I was able to do this by adding
contentBoxes.hide();
contentBoxes.find(’*’).hide();

after #42

Thanks!

Hi, @Noah . Thanks for this. Tried applying this to the FAQ section of my landing page. I put all the questions of the buttons and answers on the box. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to customize it in a way that all answers will be hidden until a visitor get clicked on the button.

Currently, all answers are displayed right after the page loads.

I want people to click one the questions to get the answer.

Hoping for your help or anyone in the community.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Badge

I want to use the text instead of buttons. When I tried with the text, it shows the last container. Please help me with this. My hand is tight in JavaScript. Thank You

Same. Would love just a fade in/out…

Do they have an updated animation for this? I also prefer no animation at all or something updated than this.

Any insights on how to change the animation that occurs when switching between tabbed items? Would prefer no animation at all over what we get for free with what you provided. Thanks!

hello there i have followed your tutorial for adding tabbed sections, i had link to the good id for my navigation bar but it’s still not working it stuck on the first section without moving to the others, Any ideas ?

Badge

Hey guys!

Thanks for the work you are doing here and tabbed sections really make the website stand out and look unique.

I made a video on YouTube in my Unbounce playlist showing how to set this up…

Here is the link for those who want to see how to do this from start to finish:

Let me know if you have any questions!!

Ivan

So I’m having issues getting this to work, I’ve followed all the instructions and I’m unable to get it to work. Also, if I want to have more than one button and content box what part of the Jscript do I copy and change with the button and box IDs? Someone please help.

Thank you for this. This should be in the main post. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was wrong and I was following the diy step by step!

If this doesn’t work for you it might be that you don’t have jQuery added to your Scripts.

To fix this add a new script in Javascripts, call it jQuery, place it in Head and here is the script content:

<script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.2/jquery.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Hi, I tried following instructions but it doesn’t work for me. Can someone please take a look at my page and let me know what I did wrong? https://www.321ignition.com/partners/

I couldn’t make it work just following the instructions, but I took a very close look at Noah’s Unbounce Demo Tabs page, posted in the comments.

Here are a few instructions missing from the official instructions:

• The “buttons box” should be in one SECTION and the “content box” should be in another SECTION just below the “buttons box” section. If they are not in different sections it won’t work!
  • Set the placement of the Javascript provided to “Before body end tag”.
  • In the Javascript you have to enter the ID of the “buttons box” and of the “content box” NOT the ID of any individual button or content:
  • var navButtons = $(’#lp-pom-box-XXX a’); replace XXX with you buttons box ID
  • var contentBoxes = $(’#lp-pom-box-XXX .lp-pom-box’); replace XXX with your content box ID
  • You can find the ID of the boxes and buttons at the bottom of the “properties” tab.

@langtry I couldn’t without the file itself - I rebuilt my page inside Noah’s template instead, as when I copied the script over to my page it wouldn’t work for some reason. I also got no response when I messaged for help!

Has anyone been able to get this working for two different sections?

Noah commented it shortly after posting, here’s the link I used to download! 🙂

Hi! Having trouble getting this to function properly. Does anyone have an unbounce page they can download and send me where this actually works? Want to compare to what i’m doing. Thanks!