[How To] Add A Multi-Step Form 2.0

Show first post

224 replies

@Noah wonderful code, it is a beaut and filling a huge gap Unbounce has.

But sadly I had to remove it from my landing pages with more than 3 field forms. I realized I’m missing a good portion of the abandoned data. I’ll implement back on if I manage to find a practical way to access this data.

Userlevel 7

Hey @nik_adiko good news, a new post is up for inline error messages: [How to] Add Inline Form Error Messages. Take a look and let me know what you think!

Userlevel 7

@jsuppes I haven’t seen any issues so far. It looks you may just need to change the placement of your script to ‘Before Body End Tag’

Thanks Noah, that did the trick!

Badge

Thanks very much, that did the trick!!

(P.S. Wondering if anyone else is seeing varying results with the multistep form on desktop vs mobile? We’ve found that it helps on mobile but hurts on desktop.)

It seems like previous code was a bit more simple with being able to decide which fields go into each section as below.

function multistepForm() { **var pages = {** ** 1: '#container_type',** ** 2: '#container_first_name, #container_last_name',** ** 3: '#container_email_address, #container_phone_home'** }; var headers = { 1: '#lp-pom-text-1095, #lp-pom-text-1100', 2: '#lp-pom-text-1096, #lp-pom-text-1098', 3: '#lp-pom-text-1097, #lp-pom-text-1099' I cant seem to find the equivalent in the new code.
Userlevel 7

For the Safari issue I think this may have been related to the use of an arrow function, which is not fully supported by all browsers. I’ve replaced this with a regular function and it appears to have resolved the issue I was seeing in my testing. Give the latest script a try and let me know how it goes: https://gist.github.com/noahub/b8c6d63abb50048d42ee721c900450df3

Thanks Noah, should’ve read the comments first!

Userlevel 7

Hey @Alan_C, it looks like there might be an issue with dropdown fields with hidden field labels. I’ll take a look at fixing this, but in the meantime the solution is to unhide the field label.

We really gave Typeform a good go but the responsiveness is what killed it for us. Embedding Typeforms into Unbounce worked OK for desktop but on mobile the embed code coming from Typeform would not recognise that the unbounce HTML container was now for mobile/smaller. This meant we had to use the ‘popup’ option for launching the Typeform which tanked conversions coming from the paid traffic. It was a shame. But Leadformly, despite being buggy and driving us nuts, is just what we need and recognises the size of the parent container.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey @Noah, this script is awesome! Thank you! We’re very close to deploying it live and seeing how it does. Just one quick question…

We have the form below the fold, but there must be something in the script that is causing the page to “jump” to that section with the form in it upon load. Is there a way to disable this?

Regards,

Looking to implement a multi-step form on a convertible. If anyone one is available, I’m open to paying for assistance.
Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I had previously been using this script and it had been working really well. Today there was a notification in Unbounce that they had implemented a new feature to allow the creation of horizontal form fields. The notification also hinted that this might effect some forms from working.

The multi step forms still appear to be working on my existing landing pages however if I create a new variant using this multi step form script it doesn’t seem to work anymore. Any one else having the same issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey!

What are you seeing? It just checked one of our pages that we built the other day and it seems to be working fine here.

Badge +1

Hi all!

Unfortunately, one thing has been holding me back with this script.

I can’t used ‘drop-down’ fields in the form unless it is the very last question. Is there a solution to this? It’d be much appreciated!

Hey @Noah - nice script. I’m attempting to add this to a page where we’ll collect more info from list subscribers, and the form we’re creating has many fields. With it being so long, it’s caused the page to load past the boundaries that we’d like, because the form’s length is long.

Is there a way we can have this multi-step form on a page without the page needing to be longer than the form? Appreciate any help you could provide!

@Noah, any update on having more than one field show in a given step???

Joe

Hey Noah!

Will save all user data after submiting the buttom?

Wondering this as well, any updates?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi @Marissa_Rustici!

Glad it is almost working for you!
Could you please send me a screenshot of Multi Step 2 script and message me a link to your webpage? Just want to check a few things before I assume a fix!

Thanks, @Caroline .
Here’s the URL

https://www.sharperselling.com/bathroom-remodel/

And the script

Hey

Just tried setting it up, it works great 😃

The 1 issue i’m having though is that if any of the fields are required or have validation, it breaks the form steps - wont allow you to continue or go back, will just show error instead.

My form fields are:
-building type (house, apartment, etc.)

• size (in square meters)
  • name
  • email
  • phone

If i do “name email phone” as required fields i get errors before even getting to that part:

Ever encountered that before? What part of JS must i be checking to fix that?

Thanks 🙂

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi @TilenK!

Could you message me your url?
I can take a look at it later this afternoon.

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi @Joe_Savitch!

One of my coworkers added that on and used it for one of our clients. I have never personally used it. I can look into it more when I get a chance! 🧐

@Noah First I have to say that this form code is amazing and I use it all the time. However, I have recently run into an issue.

Is there any way to hide the form overflow? My current landing page is only one short section and my form is quite a few questions. This creates an enormous white footer below my content section to accommodate the rest of the hidden form questions. So again, is there any way to hide the form overflow so this doesn’t happen? Any help solving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You