Solved

Just Launched: Pass Incoming URL Parameters to Outgoing Button Links

Show first post

35 replies

Hello,
I need to “pass through URL parameters” on text links as well as button links. Can this be done with dynamic incoming parameters?

Thank you!

Userlevel 3

Hey John

Sorry for the late reply here. That isn’t possible by default on our app, but i’m sure it can be done with a little custom code. I might be able to point you in the right direction. I’m going to start a support ticket so we can tackle this together. Lookout of my email!

Yes, when a customer closes the window, a small window pops up offering a special deal. I have pasted in the javascript below. I just need to figure out how to pass along the URL parameters in it.

Userlevel 3

I wouldn’t think there would be major downsides. URL parameters are a widely used method to exchange information. Unless they stumble across the page organically without those parameters, the only way for them to strip out that information is to manually remove or modify those parameters on their own browser. In most cases you have control as to where customers are finding the links to your page, and doing so can ensure the proper parameters are applied.

Can you clarify what your ‘exit pop’ is?

Any way to do this with my exit pop as well?

And, are there any down sides to this? Any way for customers to strip that information automatically?

This is a really big deal for me. By passing the affiliate ID on with the buy link, we are essentially reapplying the affiliate ID. So, even if the customer isn’t cookied, the sale will still be applied to the correct affiliate.

Any does and don’ts or best practices when it comes to URL parameters?

Userlevel 3

Hey John - In that case it will properly append the parameters to the end with a & sign like so.

http://secure.saltrevolution.com/cgi-…

If the button url already has parameters, will it just add it these new ones to the end?

For example this is my buy link: http://secure.saltrevolution.com/cgi-…

In your example, would it look like this?
http://secure.saltrevolution.com/cgi-…

Userlevel 3

Hey John - Sorry if those instructions weren’t too clear. To further clarify, if someone lands on your landing page with URL parameters then those existing parameters can be automatically appended to outgoing button links.

For example, if your landing page url is www.mylandingpage.com and someone comes on to the landing page with the following parameters:

www.mylandingpage.com/?affiliate_id=5…

Then ?affiliate_id=5555&source=facebook will automatically be appended to any button with the “Pass through URL parameters” box checked.

Does that make sense? Was that what you’re looking for? If not clarify a bit further as to what you’re trying to do and i’d step you through the best I can 🙂

Hey, the support article is not very supportive. What I would really like to do is pass along my affiliate’s ID in the button url. Is that possible? Is there a tutorial on how this could work?