Question

Scrollable video transcript (while watching video)

• 7 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge
  1. Hello, working on this page and I have 2 needs:
    I need the video to stay put/stick to that spot while the user can click through “Read Transcript...”, scroll through the transcript while watching the video at the same time.  I've tried everything, even making the video section into a sticky header, sticky scroll which didn't work for me, etc…

2. "Read transcript..." Ideally this box disappears upon click but I haven’t figured out how

For now I have the transcript in a collapsible section which looks pretty good, just the other features aren’t working as I’d like.

Thanks in advance!
    https://discover.getdbt.com/dbt-101-thank-you/

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi there @parkmyvan ,

Thanks very much for your post in the Community.

I was racking my brain to try and come up with a workable solution re the video and transcript when I came across this workaround for a split screen scroll and thought it might work for you.

I had a go at recreating this using a general template and added your video to a box and it works for me. Take a look at my test page and let me know what you think.

Badge

Hey Oliver, I tried to get this to work and went wrong somewhere. Also the design that I’m working on has been client approved and goes with their brand guides, I can’t change the orientation of the page… Is there a way for me to share my build with you so you could tinker with it in the layout I have now? 

I’ll keep trying

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey @parkmyvan 

Thanks for the info - you are very welcome to share the link to your edit page with me (you can DM me if you prefer). I can have a look and see if there is anything else I can think of.

In the meantime, I had another thought. Using the Custom HTML widget in the editor, you could use a bit of custom code to create a scrollbar and add the text in accordingly. You can see this on my test page here. Not all the text has been added in and I haven’t styled it in line with your page, but it hopefully gives you an idea of what might be possible.