[Feedback Wanted] Mobile Responsive

• 22 November 2016
  • 60 replies

Hey there!

Denise here – Product Designer for the Content Builder team! Here at Unbounce, we’re constantly striving to deliver an excellent experience across all of our products.

Now that we have Inline Text Editing in labs (if you haven’t tried it out, please do and let us know what you think here) I’m able to start digging into something that we know has been a frustration. That’s our Mobile Responsive feature and I want to hear from you!

How can our Mobile Responsive feature be better? What frustrations do you encounter when using this feature? How often do these occur? What kind of functionality would you like to see in Mobile Responsive v2?

What frustrates you the most with our Mobile Responsive solution?

• Desktop and mobile views are linked, therefore my elements shift when I build my mobile page.
  • There aren’t enough views and devices that my page can be optimized for.
  • I have to manually build my mobile page even if I’ve already carefully built my desktop page. I want you to automatically do this for me.
  • My images are not scaling and optimizing properly on mobile.
  • Other: Please leave your feedback below.

0 voters

Be as candid as you can be and as descriptive as possible! I am looking forward to hearing your honest feedback! If you’re passionate about mobile and are interested in chatting more, let me know in your reply and I can reach out to you directly! : )

Denise

60 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Denise_Villanueva,

This is exciting to hear! I’ve been looking forward to some updates in this area for a while. I can tell you that from a client perspective, the things clients ask me most about is why Unbounce doesn’t have a specific view for tablets. It’s either mobile or desktop and nothing in between. I personally don’t think this is a huge deal, but it sure would make a few folks very happy if they could optimize specifically for tablets. 🙂

Also, I know this isn’t exactly related to mobile responsive improvements, but it is a mobile request… It would be amazing if Unbounce had support for retina displays, so that we could display super crisp images on small screens and make them look great!

Best of luck with your project and looking forward to seeing the results.

I selected all of the above. But another huge problem is that there is no way to differentiate stats between mobile and desktop.

Thanks for doing this! As Nicholas mentioned, we need support for retina displays. Right now, if you add a good quality PNG to any landing page, it looks great while in the editor but when you publish it, the quality degrades significantly on both desktops (retina and high res displays) as well as smartphones. GIFs seem to work a lot better though.

@Denise_Villanueva

This is a great topic! My biggest issue is with fonts. I am sure the new editor is going to handle fonts better but right now when I use any custom fonts the mobile page breaks, bad. It is mostly centered around using CSS such as line-height and font-size. I mark those elements !important and the pages end up with horizontal scrolling.

For my clients staying “on brand” with the right fonts is one of the most important things. The easier it is to work with custom fonts (and having them not break mobile views) the better!

Joe

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hey @Denise_Villanueva

Yeah!!! A long time coming - this feature needs a bit of an overhaul.

Not sure where to start, many have already voiced their opinions, concerns and feedback above. I can say this, the responsive topic comes up often here on the forums and I know that I and other @Unbounce-Experts field many related questions. In fact I had a call with a client today about mobile testing our LPs, we build around 10 per week for them.

What I’d like to see in a nutshell:

• landscape views and tablet views - this HUGE
  • ability to modify the breakpoints - also really HUGE!
  • font-scaling
  • unlink elements from desktop view
  • retina - personally I think this is also very IMPORTANT! Not just SVG but also png support.
  • font icons
  • personally I think when you’re in mobile view the javascripts and css windows should be specific to that view
  • mobile stats would be nice too, the ability to separate views and conversions from desktop vs. mobile
  • off-canvas

That’s all for now 🙂 If you’re looking for bet testers I’m in, and I can QA break anything for you 😛

My number one Point that I would love to see changed is:
Please unlink elements from the desktop view

Furthermore I would like to see analytics for mobile vs desktop.

🙂

Hi Denise

What is important to me in v2?

More breakpoints (tablets, etc.)
Ability to change text alignment based on device (Desktop, Tablet, Mobile)

Thanks
Aleks

Hi Denise

Here’s the Retina image hack:

Cheers
Dave

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Boost_Company,

Due to the way Unbounce landing pages are currently created adjustable height is not something offered out of the box.

It is however possible but requires pretty good knowledge of JavaScript.

My agency has developed a solution for our own clients that monitors and adjusts the height of the page.

Feel free to PM me if a feature like this is crucial to your landing pages.

Best,
Hristian

Hi @Boost_Company,

Really good point on the vertical and horizontal reflow - I believe it is something that we can potentially do with our current codebase! Thanks for leaving your feedback, I know when I build pages in app, I also want my page sections to know when to expand based on how big my elements are.

-Denise and @Jordana

Thanks for this, definitely useful topic 🙂
Keep up the good work!

@Denise_Villanueva Thanks Denise! I didn’t know this existed! I’ll have a look 🙂

And great news you are on the case with the forms 🙂

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Totally agree with @Nicholas
There should be a specific view for tablets and better image resolution quality in all devices.

<---- this. The images look pixelated when shown on mobile even if we use high-res

Hey @latearrival!

Thanks so much for the feedback! Retina support has come up quite a bit during this thread – really good to know that that’s very important to you guys. Would you be able to clarify which background image hack do you mean?
Wondering if @Justin might know what this is too.

Yeah I agree, not being able to see your two breakpoints is tough when there certainly are things that may change/shift. This is definitely a good point.

Ooooh yes. Currently the hack is to reparent elements in a box. Grouping is something that we’ve also been talking about lately here.

-Denise and @Jordana

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

No prob 😛

• For the landscape view, landscape for both mobile and tablet? Are there specific sizes that you would like to see?

Yes, it would be great to have landscape for both. In terms of “sizes” that is tough. Sticking with teh standards would make most sense. There’s some good info here http://www.websitedimensions.com/

• We currently have font scaling in mobile - what exactly do you mean by this? Do you mean being able to completely change the font size in the mobile view?

Yes, being able to completely change it by pixel or percentage for mobile use without having to show hide copy.

• Can you expound on what you mean by ‘off-canvas’?

Mobile navigation. Jason Weaver doe s a really good job of breaking this down. But, basically fly-out menus.

Can’t wait to test! 😊

Hey @DewaldtHuysamen!

Retina support and Hi-res on mobile has come up a lot in this post – thanks for leaving your feedback!

-Denise and @Jordana

I might be covered by other posts, but I find it SO frustrating if I make changes to my desktop version, and don’t pay attention to the changes it also does to my mobile version. Often it has totally screwed up the mobile, which then need adjustments again. I would like to say, somewhere, that I am happy with whatever version I am NOT working on, and freeze that version, so it doesn’t change any longer no matter what I do with the other one.

I know this is covered about, but (+) 1 for Tablets. I still think Unbounce is a great mobile solution, but a tablet view would be awesome!

Separating mobile vs desktop analytics would be awesome!

It might be interesting to have the ability to unlink elements between the desktop and mobile view by section. I know it’s sometimes really handy to have thinks linked, but other times not so much.

Hi,
Lots of good suggestions already. I have a really pain, which is more about responsive in general than only mobil responsive.
In Unbounce you can’t let the page depend on the size of elements. E.g. when I put in an iframe, that could end up in different heights I have to set aside the max possible height as space on the Unbounce page both on desktop and mobile.

To be very conrete: Is it possible to make a section which height is dynamic and depends on the content?

Then you would be able to produce an iframe or html element e.g. a list that works both with a few items and a lot of items. The unbounce page (section) would adjust to the need.
Best regards
Lars Rathje

Are there specific sizes that you would like to see?

It would be phenomenal if we could either select from a group of predefined Android and iOS resolutions and/or input our own break points. Apps like Sketch and Adobe XD offer sets of predefined artboard sizes based on the most popular devices, not all of them, and would be a good set of options.

Denise,

I’d recommend reaching out to branko and milan.

They have hands on experience working with the mobile view and can give you
better feedback.

I haven’t had too many issues that i couldn’t resolve fairly easily. retina - there is a tip somewhere about using images as backrounds within a box - shouldn’t be necessary but works nicely and not too much hassle.

I can’t see how anything could be a higher priority than forms however - and they are sooo important on a landing page

anyhow - i’ll pipe down. I don’t have too much to say on the responsive functionality.