Allow yourself to introduce... yourself

Show first post

140 replies

That sounds like an awesome trip. You picked the right sporting event, too. I’m not a big sports guy myself, but it’s awesome to see the energy that comes out of a Lions game.

Hi Pat, great to meet you.

It’s not necessarily unrealistic, but it’s very difficult to tackle ALL the tools and ALL the channels at once. My advice would be to strongly consider which channel makes the most sense for your business and nail it first. Once you’ve got that one channel figured out, branch out.

For example, when Unbounce was a startup with a marketing department of 1 person, Oli Gardner believed strongly that inbound marketing was the way to go, so he dumped all his effort into building the readership of our blog, writing ebooks to generate leads and building up our social media presence, so we could share our content with the audience we’ve built. It wasn’t until we got more staff that we started branching out into webinars, paid advertising, partnerships, email marketing, etc.

Anyway, only one guy’s opinion, but I believe it pretty strongly. It’s tough to do everything at once and near impossible to do everything well at once.

Hi Andrew,

That’s an exciting (and confusing) time to be in, for sure. What’s your favourite type of marketing, or industry to work on? Could it be as simple as picking your favourite?

Wow Stela, you’re doing a lot! And going out on your own seems to be a common thread within the responses to these emails. Best of luck to you. If you’re experiencing any challenges with any of your banner ads, landing pages or lead gen campaigns, I’d encourage you to visit us again and ask the community what they think! There are some really smart people in here :) 

Glad to have you with us.

Whoa, cool! Which resources did you use?

Thanks for chiming in, Hana! Really appreciate it 🙂

Hi! I’m Andrew, Ukraine. I worked in social media for a bit more than 3 years. Just over a year ago I upgraded to digital marketing. Got lucky to land a job in an IT outsourcing company. Here I got my hands first on email, then - content marketing… in addition to social media. Really happy to have this opportunity to grow and Unbounce blog is of great assistance here.

The biggest challenge right now is finding that niche, a perfect spot in a very competitive environment, where my company can really spread its wings. So, got lots of analytics to analyze and hypotheses to test.

Hi Corey and all, 

I’m Stela, currently working in UK and helping a national online accountancy firm with all aspects of marketing. I’ve been designing a few landing pages, plenty of banner ads, blog headers and images for social media. I’m also running email, PPC and social lead gen campaigns with free eBooks, email courses and newsletters. Unbounce’s resources have been very useful when I needed to focus on a specific short-term project. It feels good to keep my knowledge fresh and stay on top of the latest marketing updates with your emails. For the moment I’m nurturing my skills and building experience until I can hopefully take off on my own soon. 

Best wishes,
Stela

Hi Corey,

I am Melisa from Indonesia. Thanks for your email. I am just a student who wants to do a startup in the future (this summer!). I did a summer school on entrepreneurship and I used resources from unbounce to do my job as the assigned CMO. 

Thanks!

Best,
Melisa

Hi Ben, I’d imagine that there are a lot of people who need help with their financing and don’t necessarily trust banks to help them. You could certainly use PPC to place ads next to banks and tout yourself as a more progressive solution. Of course, I don’t know the ins and outs of what’s legal in that space, but it sounds like there would be opportunity there. Also, the drawback with relying on paid advertising is that you’ll have to invest money upfront before you see a return.

If you have some capital to start with, I’d recommend reaching out to an Unbounce partner who specializes in PPC who could give you an idea of how much it would cost to get started with paid advertising. If not, you might consider writing guest posts on credible blogs about why your financing solution is superior to going to a bank, then just leaving a small CTA that directs them to you (or your landing page).

Thanks Ton! When I saw your book, I couldn’t believe more people hadn’t written about the topic yet. Also, I’ve never seen a website with a responsive border like yours has. It definitely stands out.

When the day comes that you need Unbounce, we’ll be here. Until then, I hope we can help you see success with your book and course!

Hey Nathan,

Great to meet you and thanks for the compliment! I was considering claiming that I had “1 weird trick that moms hate” in the subject, but it didn’t feel right 🙂

You’re a brave man to suggest that you’re considering buying a software product in a public space! I’ve let Phil, our Executive Assistant for agency customers know that you could use a hand. He’ll reach out shortly.

Go easy on him… he’s new.

Thanks a lot Corey!!! Will start with that today.

Hi all, my name is Ben and I work for a large bank in Ontario Canada, my goal is to develop a lead gen site that does not infringe on my employer, a site that can generate leads and prospects so that I can reach out and assist in their financing , oh BTW i am a mortgage agent with a bank. Any thoughts and or direction greatly appreciated.  

It IS a damn good question. The Cialdini principles are so often abused today, IMHO: fake scarcity, fake likeability, fake social proof, all that stuff. And “online” is a place were this kind of fake can live long enough, apparently to make some bucks and don’t bother about ethics, honesty or reputation even.
That said, I sometimes find solo-entrepreneurs in their social media who act like this. Perhaps because they are seen as the real person they are, can’t believe that they hide behind a brand or something. Maybe that is the reason why you, Corey, get so much positive feedback on your email today: even though being “behind” the Unbound brand, you show your personality, in a positive way. Many of your readers think this is something special. And though it IS (kudos for you), it shouldn’t be.

Hi, I’m Ton, and I’ve just launched an ebook and a program on www.lovebybreakup.com My web guy developed landing pages WITHOUT Unbounce, and I’m OK with that. Yet, the day may come that I need more flexibiity and can afford the budget to use a paid landing page service. Till that day, I’m happy to learn about what Unbounce can do for marketing, and how.
I was VERY pleased by the tone and content of Corey’s email. My next book might be on ethics in online marketing, and I find the email a beautiful example of applied ethics. Thank you and keep up the good work.

What can I say? I have a generous boss! (I’m sure him tagging along to Canada had nothing to do with it!)

Looking very much forward to it. Got to meet Oli at CJAM in Stockholm last September, and excited to see what he’s good for on his home turf!

We’re flying in on Thursday, to have a few days to experience Vancouver before the conference starts on Sunday. Hoping to catch the Stampeders @ Lions preseason game on Saturday!

Looking forward to meeting everyone and making some new connections at the conference!

Hey Tim!

Hana here, abovementioned friend from Uberflip 🙂

We use HubSpot and Unbounce and have the same issues when it comes to connecting landing page interaction with leads. If somebody submits via an Unbounce landing page we lose visibility. No campaign data and doesn’t show the form submit in a lead’s HubSpot history (although we get around by making sure to add them to a unique list that’s properly labeled since the list addition is included in HS history. SO many lists!) 

We’ve gone back and forth on this and have basically defined different landing page use cases and when to use Unbounce vs. settling on a HubSpot page (for example, button CTA vs form, ppc campaign vs. email campaign to our existing database etc.)

For us, it’s a balance. Unbounce is just better at landing pages across the board but in some scenarios, we need to use HubSpot for better visibility into lead behavior (for us and for our sales team).  

Not sure this was particularly helpful, but happy to put you in touch with our resident HubSpot guru.

@Corey - great to hear you guys are considering enhancing the marketing automation integrations. Excited to see what rolls out!

Cheers, 
H

Hi Barbara!

Great to meet you. Have you checked out Moz’s Beginner’s Guide to SEO? It’s amazing. Hope it helps 🙂

Hello,

I’m Nathan Pabich from Chicago, Il, USA. I work as the Director of Paid Search at http://www.digitalthirdcoast.net/. I’ve been focused on paid search for nearly a decade, 8 of which spent helping Digital Third Coast grow.

Loved the email. Anything that doesn’t have “top x essential”, ÒunicornÓ or ÒhacksÓ in the subject line is progress in my book.

I’ve been evaluating Unbounce for longer than I’d like to admit. I’d really like to see about next steps to get going with the platform (time commitment on our side, what we need to do to succeed, etc) and how we could scale it effectively for our clients, existing and new.

Cheers,
Nathan

Great to meet you Lesia!

There’s a lot to talk about with email marketing! You might be interested in the email marketing section of our blog: http://unbounce.com/email-marketing/

I hope it helps!

Hi Tim,

I wish I knew more about the details of HubSpot, so we could get into the nitty gritty. Truth is, I’m still learning the software and we have someone mostly dedicated to the setup.

I will say this though - we’re in serious talks about improving our marketing automation integrations (HubSpot included). In the meantime, we’ve opted to use Unbounce forms and the Unbounce integration. It means we can’t take advantage of progressive profiling for now. And perhaps we’re missing out on the campaign data within HubSpot too… I’m actually not sure. 

A friend of mine at a company called Uberflip has been using both tools together for quite some time. Maybe she’s figured it out! I’m going to ask her to take a look at your question and see if she has any advice. I’d also love to hear what she thinks about the topic.

Thanks a ton for all the kind words about our emails, content and events. I’m really glad you’ve enjoyed your time with us 🙂

Hello to all!
I _m Barbara from Mexico. I _m a graphic designer, mostly I do branding and editorial, but I _m doing some website design now, so I _m trying to learn about content, SEO and digital marketing in general. So since I _m new in all these topics, both Hubspot and Unbounce have been enourmously helpful. 
My biggest struggles in these areas are about SEO. I think its overwhelming, and frankly I don _t know where to begin… so a begginers guide would be great for me.
Thanks a lot and well read each other over here.

Wow, that’s a wide variety of services! You must be a busy guy 🙂

Thanks very much for the compliment. It’s been a good morning.

WOW that was a good comment! Ke$ha’s got nothing on you.

That’s also a very interesting problem you present… If you’re not in a position where you actually need the money (because you have a day job), could you take some more risks with how you present yourself? I mean, what if you were to present yourself from the get-go as someone who will push the boundaries of marketing, so clients are set up to expect that?

Like you suggested, it wouldn’t be a short-term solution by any means… and the types of people who would be interested in those services are likely different from your current clients… but it sounds like it’d be fun, doesn’t it? 🙂

Thanks for the advice with the setup. It’s definitely tough to fight the temptation of trying to build the perfect system immediately and trick yourself into thinking you’ll just set it and forget it (shout out, Ronco infomercials).

I can’t say I’ve been very active in those communities yet, but it sounds like I should start.