Add Captcha to Form to Limit Spam Submissions

• 21 September 2010
  • 36 replies

Show first post

36 replies

Hi Gloria!

We’ve been taking big steps over the last two years to address spam and false leads. The automation we have set-up should catch almost all automated spam from bots, but an actual person won’t trip the spam trap.

We’ve got a second automation running that looks for know spam IPs (based on regular monitoring of a few different sources), so it is possible that you’ll see one off “spam” leads like that occasionally.

In fact, you can read about a tool we’ve built in house called the Reputator that works using different resources to take a huge bite out of spam.

At the moment we don’t have a direct way to implement a captcha form into an Unbounce form, but if you’re looking for an immediate solution, 123 Contact Forms has built an integration, so their forms can now write leads into your Unbounce view leads section and also capture a conversion.

A word of warning, as captcha’s can sometimes negatively affect your conversion rate, but if you are experiencing a lot of spam on your page, it should do the job.

Hope this answers your questions, Gloria. If you’re still finding yourself receiving large amounts of spam, please don’t hesitate to reach back out to our support team (support@unbounce.com) so we can really dig into this and hopefully find a solution.

Thanks!

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Signup security?.

Is there a security feature for spam signups (ie prove you are human)?

Hey guys, I see Carl mentioning that Unbounce is working on getting Captcha support (and it says 5 years ago). Any idea when this will be released?

Hey, Any update on Capcha release? Can we use google reCAPTCHA for same?

Would like an update as well. I’m getting people submitting multiple times and there’s no way for me to stop it.

Hi Ishan (and Mark), 
We’ve been working hard behind the scenes to limit the amount of spam that hits your pages. While we don’t have any official captcha support just yet, you could use something such as Wufoo which has captcha support built-in. Just keep in mind that adding a Captcha to your form can  seriously hurt your conversion rates. 

MOZ has covered this in the past, and in 2009 Casey Henry did an in-depth analysis on just how much it affects conversion rates. I highly suggest reading the article in it’s entirety, but for a birds-eye view I’ve copied/pasted what I find to be the most most interesting bit of data: 

• 2,134 total conversions were entered while the CAPTCHA was off.

• 91 total SPAM conversions while the CAPTCHA was off.

• 0 total failed conversions while the CAPTCHA was off.

• 2,156 total conversions were entered while the CAPTCHA was on.

• 11 total SPAM conversions while the CAPTCHA was on.

• 159 total failed conversions while the CAPTCHA was on.
    From the data you can see that with CAPTCHA on, there was an 88% reduction in SPAM but there were 159 failed conversions.  Those failed conversions could be SPAM, but they could also be people who couldn’t figure out the CAPTCHA and finally just gave up.  With CAPTCHA’s on, SPAM and failed conversions accounted for 7.3% of all the conversions for the 3 month period.  With CAPTCHA’s off, SPAM conversions accounted for 4.1% of all the conversions for the 3 month period.  That possibly means when CAPTCHA’s are on, the company could lose out on 3.2% of all their conversions!  >

Super insightful!  Thanks for sharing this

Thanks so much for putting this together Justin. And while I don’t necessarily want to see CAPTCHA, I would appreciate some form of duplicate reduction at the very least. 

An option that says “prevent resubmission for same email address”? or something along those lines?

PS: Justin, I like your post. But couldn’t click Like due to some formatting issue:

Same thing here

Hmmm… Weird! Guess it’s the thought that counts. 😉

Another 20 years