Sticky Bars and other Popups Feature Updates 🎉

• 26 September 2017
  • 12 replies

Hey everyone 👋 :new_blue:

Today I’m happy to announce that you can now create sticky bars with Unbounce Popups!
On top of that, if you’re already using Popups, we’ve added a number of features and functionality we think you’re going to love.

Sticky bars

Sticky bars are a type of Popup that allow you to add a bar to the top or bottom of any page on your website. They allow you to display your campaign’s message subtly and leave your site’s user experience uninterrupted.

stickygif

Learn more about sticky bars on our website or from our documentation

Location targeting by Region

In order to build more custom messaging and target specific audiences we’ve introduced the ability to target your visitors by regions (provinces and states)

Form confirmation dialog auto-close

After your visitors convert on your lead generation Popups, they are met with a success message, or what we call a “form confirmation dialog”. Previously, this was something that your new leads would have to close. To remove the burden of additional action after your visitor converts, we’ve added the ability to set the form confirmation to close after a certain amount of time.

Trigger on scroll up

With the addition of sticky bars (a more mobile friendly Popup) we also wanted to introduce an additional trigger that works on mobile. “On exit” is a trigger we offer that only works on desktop as there is no mobile equivalent of a visitor’s cursor motioning to leave (yup that’s how our exit trigger works). Now, you can trigger your Popups when a user first scrolls up!

Close button changes

Last week, we made some updates to the Popups close button. It’s now round and slightly smaller, but only visually: the button is now 20x20 px with a clickable area of 40x40 px.

Placeholder text for Popup forms

Sticky bars (and Popups) don’t provide you with the largest dimensions to get your message across. Being conscious of space, customers were asking for a way to add placeholder text in place of field labels to allow for cleaner, less cluttered designs.

Horizontally displayed forms for sticky bars

With the introduction of sticky bars, we added the ability to set your form design to be multi-column, allowing for multi-field forms within the limited dimensions of top and bottom sticky bars.

***We know horizontally displayed forms have been a big ask from customers for both Landing Pages and overlays. The team is currently investigating a way to migrate pages and overlays that include workarounds (custom code solutions) without disrupting your published content. Until we have a solution we are only enabling this functionality for our new sticky bars feature. Give it a try and as always, be sure to share your feedback with us.

That’s all we have for now. We’re excited to get these out the door and in your hands. Please share any comments, questions, queries, or concerns you may have below.

Best,

Cole ✌️

12 replies

The placeholders are not working!

Badge

Great updates!!!

Waiting for standard horizontal forms 🙂

A.

Hey @Fayaz_Ahmed_Aralikat,

Could you clarify in what way it’s not working? If you’ve got a Convertable with an issue I’d be happy to take a look.

Brian

Hello Cole,

This is great stuff.
How can I have my convertibles show on computers when they try to exit and on touch devices when they scroll up?
Do I have to duplicate it and make one convertible for mobile and one for desktops?
Seems like it could be just one, best practices, button.

-John

Hey John,
You have it correct.

In order to have separate triggers per device, you do in fact need 2 Convertables.
You’ll just want to set the device toggles (located in the bottom right of the builder) for the respective Convertable.
Best of luck!

Hi,
Great stuff with the convertables. One important thing though:

• You can add all the urls you want, but only a single domain name
  • What if you have a number of subdomains? Why can’t you add something like “*.subdomain.com” so you can cover them all with one convertable?
  • Currently you have to make a copy of the convertable for each subdomain even though these are equal. And when updating your convertable you then need to update/sync each version…
    I hope you can fix this.
    Best regards
    Lars Rathje

Hi @Boost_Company,

Great suggestions! I completely understand your pain about subdomains, and it’s something we’d like to work on.

Can I ask, are there many scenarios where you would be using the same Convertable across multiple completely different domains? I’d love to hear more about what your needs are!

-Sarah

Absolutely. Typically we add a subdomain (we are an agency) for our clients to work on different landingpages when doing campaigns.
Identical convertables are then relevant both on some of our landingpages (on the specific subdomain) on the clints www-domain to utilize site-traffic and even on other domains because clients often have several product-sites, but want to promote the same offer accross these.
So to summarize the need is for a specific convertable to add one or more domains. And then when adding page-urls for each decide which domain to use. Currently I can see a shadowed domain-name in front of the page url. That just needs to be a dropdown to use one of the added domains.
I hope this is clear - otherwise please ask further.
Best regards
Lars

Hi,

Is there a way i can pass value from landing page to popup?

Hey @Leo_Villanueva,

Popups and sticky bars can use url parameters in the host page url for dynamic text replacement. Would that work for you?

Hi there Unbounce team @Brian_Burns, @Sarah_Gillis,

Is there a resolution on this issue? We are moving our webpages from “root/[subfolder]” to “subfolder.root” and it is breaking all of our convertables.

“*.root” does not see to work
“root” (with no subdomain) does not seem to work.

Hey @Chandler_Koglmeier,
Could you message me directly with the URL for a sample Convertable and I can take a look. I’m a little unclear of the setup.

Thanks
Brian