Facebook traffic

• 22 September 2010
  • 9 replies
  • 1 view

I am running facebook ads and might run a number of different ad versions to the same landing page. For each ad I put in I notice an immediate hit to my landing page (which makes me assume it’s a bot). This messes with my stats and results in hundreds of visitors I’m paying for that are not real (testing lots of ads). At the least it would be helpful to block traffic from Facebook HQ for reporting reasons.

9 replies

Hey Stephen, sorry about that! We work hard to block bots from our stats, but sometimes one slips through. Can you let me know one of your pages that you’ve noticed this on in particular?

Hey Stephen, sorry about that! We work hard to block bots from our stats, but sometimes one slips through. Can you let me know one of your pages that you’ve noticed this on in particular?

Hi Carl,

Try looking at the first traffic ever received by …/lspafb

Or look at …/spa-facebook traffic for sometime between 9-10:30 and see if there is a bunch of traffic coming from the same place.

(hopefully you can find the pages with that path, I dont want to give full url in public)

I’ve been resetting so it would not be available in what is viewable to me, but I assume in your logs.

Thanks for your help,
Steve

Hey Stephen, I think I found it. It’s exactly as you suspected, Facebook bots are hitting your page. Sadly they dont’ do a good job of identifying their activity as originating from bots. Regardless, we should be able to get this fixed up shortly…

Hi Carl - thank for looking into this.

My eminent depression for seeing dropping conversion rates after I put of more ads will soon be gone.

(In all seriousness really helpful since I’ve had to re-set stats every time I put up new ads)

Hi Stephen! Sorry this took a little longer than expected. Another couple customers had pointed out areas in which bots were getting through our filters, so we’ve added a couple robot signatures to our filtering, *and* we’ve now started filtering for robots based on IP address range. This should definitely now be solved, but let us know if you see any other odd activity in your stats!

Hi Carl,

Can you take another look - I made a batch of new ads today and saw the same issue. Check my newest page…/vancouver

Hi Stephen! Had a quick look. This time it was simply that Facebook was using an additional IP block. I’ve added that range to the blocked list…

Hi Stephen!

Just a quick update that yesterday we deployed IP Filtering as a feature in the app! Feel free to review the following Unbounce Answers article to learn about the full functionality of this feature (filters for visits, views, and conversions) and how to use it with your Unbounce account:

http://support.unbounce.com/entries/2…

You’ll now be able to use this feature to manage which IPs to block directly from inside your Unbounce account.