Dealing with users putting www in front of a subdomain

• 13 October 2011
  • 1 reply

I setup a subdomain observe.goknow.com and added it as a custom domain. It works great.
However, people are still trying to add a www in front of it. So www.observe.goknow.com instead of observe.goknow.com. That obviously isn’t working. Is there anything I can do to get both to work.

I added www.observe.goknow.com as a custom domain and copied my page. So the end users are getting the same thing right now, but that seems like a real hack.

It would be nice if I could have both custom domains point to the same page. Is there any help you can provide?

1 reply

Hello Dave!

Your best bet in this situation is probably to set up a 301 (permanent) redirect to have visitors who navigate to ‘www.observe.goknow.com’ automatically redirected to your proper landing page URL ‘observe.goknow.com’ instead. This would address your issue while allowing you to mange a single landing page and collect your leads/stats in one place.

You can either email your host and ask them to create this redirect for you or browse through their support documentation for instructions to set it up on your own.

If you have any other questions about the process, just send us an email to support@unbounce.com and we will dig in for you.