Create Buttons from Images

I’d like to be able to have images pass parameters so that we can track adwords all the way through the funnel. Often a visitor will click an image, but even though you can link the image, it does not pass URL parameters.

A more solid approach would be to be able to turn an image into a button while still being able to crop, mask etc. and then assign a URL as well as parameter passing.

I’ve wondered about this for a while and from a workflow and speed perspective it would save so much time. Having to create images out side of UB to be the desired size for use as a button of UB is an extra step that is unncessary when UB already has the mask/crop feature.

8 replies

I’ll second this idea.

Hey Allistair and Robert - thanks for sharing  - that’s great feedback!

We definitely want to make cropping images easier.

In the interim, for any community folks that aren’t aware, you can go into the page builder, and you can set a button’s appearance to an image. From there, in the button’s properties, you can set the button to Òpass URL parameters."

Feel free to take a gander at this screencast I made here http://screencast.com/t/3hWhXujZzK.

Thanks Lou! That is great!

The only issue now is that if you want to resize the image, it crops it and you cannot adjust the mask. Is it possible to enable that so that you can resize the button and the image within it to preserve the correct masking?

Hey Allistair!
I hear you,  my suggestion doesn’t solve the trouble with cropping. That’s something we want to improve on.

As an alternative, I’d suggest sticking with images so you can mask. From there, you can drop this script in the JavaScript button.

<br />&nbsp; $(function() {<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; $('.lp-pom-image a, .lp-pom-text a').not('a[href^=#]').each( function() {<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; this.href = this.href + window.location.search;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; });<br />&nbsp; });<br />

That should let you pass URL parameters from images. Could that work for you? Let me know!

Thanks Lou. Can that be added via the scripts manager so that it works on all pages?

Hey Alistair, 
We haven’t tested this, but you should be able to use this in scripts manager without any issue. Let us know how it works out for you!

Thanks! Where in the page do you suggest? Head, before body, after body?

The head should be fine, but again we haven’t tested this out. If you aren’t able to get this working, we’d be happy to dive in and help you directly - just shoot us an email at support@unbounce.com

Thanks!