A/B Test: Popup Versus No Popup

• 2 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

I would like to A/B test a “popup vs No popup” on the same url (www.ABCcompany.com/landing01).

Would this work?

1. Create an exact variant of ‘landing01’
  2. Remove Javascript for the popup on the variant.
  3. Assign 50% traffic to each variant of ‘landing01’
  • Can the Javascript be removed on a variant by variant basis?
  • Does anyone have experience with this?

I found this post from 2018 that basically says I’d have to create two identical landing pages, then add the popup to only one. Testing a popup against...no pop up

Having multiple pages becomes to difficult and time consuming to track results as we use a two-part form (Url to Url) and we track marketing qualified records with data from our CRM. We can’t just look at the conversion rate Unbounce shows us.

Thank you.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, you could certainly do that. You can install the Unbounce popup/sticky bar script only on the variant you want it to be on. It doesn’t need to be added to both or added at the domain level.

So just add it to 1 of the variants, set the A/B test up so that it’s a 50/50 split of traffic, and publish. You should be good to go.

Just be mindful of what you’re actually testing. It is still a landing page test, and not a popup test. So with this setup, you’re testing if the presence or absence of a popup influences the conversion rate on the underlying page.

Badge

@Nicholas Thanks for the confirmation and suggestion that we are actually testing the conversion rate on the underlying page. That is what we want to test. If you or others want to understand why: Exit Popup Cannibalization of Main Form

We are using the page you created for us a few years back and it is still converting wonderfully! Copy has been tweaked a few times because of the dramatic shift to virtual training because of Covid, but the core page is still yours. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Oh nice! Glad to hear that the page is still performing well after all this time. That is awesome!