Community Spotlight 👉 Leah Thompson!

• 1 March 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
  • Former Community Manager @ Unbounce
  • 831 replies

Here in the Unbounce community, we love to see active members engaging in content. Not only generating actionable feedback for other Unbounce customers to use for their own marketing campaigns, but also asking questions! One of my favourite posts that Leah created was when she asked if query strings in URLs could be hurting conversions, check it out 👉 here!

Leah Thompson (also known as @leah.ann) joined the Unbounce community in February 2017 (almost exactly 1 year ago) and in that time has gone from a regular poster to a full-fledged Unbounce Expert! You’ll see why when you read some of her responses…

I tracked Leah down to ask her a few questions and properly introduce her to the community. 👋

Tell us about your role, where do you work and what do you do?

I contribute to the marketing and development effort for Grade Potential Tutoring. I do just about anything here that I can get my hands on in the realm of development, testing, design, marketing, research, and analysis.

What’s your all-time favourite marketing campaign?

My answer to this used to be Dollar Shave Club’s debut video. Lately though, Man Crates might have usurped the throne. I mean, who can say no to a salami bouquet sealed in a wooden crate that you literally have to pry open with a crowbar?

What trends do you predict will be dominating the market in the next 5 years?

Automated everything. It’s going to be a very interesting next few years for marketers. Psychology has always played a large role in marketing, but I think it’s going to very soon become pivotal to have a deep understanding of human behavior if you hope to have any semblance of success as a marketer in a world of machine learning and AI.

What do you do when you’re not in the wonderful work of marketing?

I’m really interested alternative education. My current side project has been helping to set up a few local summer programs aimed at introducing kids to STEM in creative and productive ways. One class will be a hands-on lesson in how to build a retro arcade game using a shoebox, a raspberry pi, and python. Every attendee will leave with their very own shoebox arcade!

Are there any marketing trends that you’ve seen that you think need to die?

Pretty much anything that obstructs default user control. One of my biggest pet peeves is trying to browse a page that has changed the default scroll behavior (e.g. one scroll moves the page up one vertical length). Stop doing that.

What’s one piece of advice you’d give to the next generation of digital marketers?

There are a lot of marketing “gurus” out there who have an unfortunate tendency to parrot each other’s advice and it has led to what I believe are a lot of misinformed “best practices”. Don’t be afraid to challenge those beliefs. Similarly, try to resist the urge to become a marketing “guru” yourself. Do your own tests before you perpetuate an idea that sounds good. We can change this industry for the better if we engage responsibly and take a critical look at the information available to us. So let’s do it!

Name: Leah Thompson
Company: Grade Potential Tutoring
Personal Linkedin
Personal Website
Company Linkedin

Want to be featured in our community spotlight? Feel free to send me a DM and we’ll chat 🙂 Or just say hi in the comments below!

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hey @leah.ann 🙂 Your side project sounds so cool too.

p.s. totally agree about the default scroll behaviour! I just CAN’T. Stop it, I need to be in control. 😂

Holy dang, I can’t believe it’s already been a year! I’m beyond happy to be a part of this wonderful community and I’m honored to be given this spotlight. Also, belated hello to everyone I haven’t had a chance to talk to yet! 👋

Thanks so much for the kind words, Zoe! 🤗