Responsive design

I’m really looking forward to seeing the responsive design landing pages come true in Unbounce. Go go development team!! 😉

44 replies

Hi Guys
I’ve built a landing but it seems that it’s not responsive at all on desktop.
Am I missing something?

@Johnny_Opao, @Carter ?

Thanks
Maureen

Where are the responsive templates? I have desktop and mobile layouts only. Do you mean that the mobile layout is your “responsive” design? Or am I missing a button somewhere. All of the desktop layouts I can find are fixed width…

We did not find a way to upload images as Unbounce reduces the size of images (in an effort to optimize load times).

We used the HTML snippets in the Unbounce editor and referenced images on our server. To increase pixel density, we simply sized down the images. An image that is 400 x 400 we specified as 200 x 200 in the HTML.

For example,

This makes the Unbounce editor look garish as we only see the box titled, “placeholder”. But this worked for us until Unbounce can rectify the issue of support for retina or HiDPI.

Sincerely,

Mike

Hi, how do i upload an image at retina quality?

Userlevel 3

Hey Everyone!

Mobile Responsive has now officially launched! Every user now has access to the new tools enabled within the builder.

If you have any feedback let us know! We’ve love to hear it.

Userlevel 3

Hey everyone!

We just moved into open beta for our Mobile Responsive feature. For further information check out the community post below:

Likewise, this is a make or break feature for us. Just signed up for the beta and hoping to get access. Thank you!

Hey there Ñ totally agree! We have been hard at working building a Mobile Responsive feature and will be opening up the beta next week. If you’d like access when we do, please make sure you sign up on the following page:

http://get.unbounce.com/responsive-be…

Cheers!

Hello everybody
40% of traffic now comes from tablets and smartphones and will increase furthemore.
A lot of Companies now understand that if their website is not responsive they are going to loose a lot of business. We convinced a lot of them to have their web site redesigned so that it is responsive. Telling them now that their Landing pages will not be responsive it’s like trhowing them back in the past. Don’t you think so?

Nope, those will still work just fine. You’ll be able to decide whether you want to convert those pages to be responsive (by creating a desktop version) in which case the viewport metatag will be automatically included for you. if you choose to change nothing though, the page will still work as you expect it to.

Thanks Carter, will this have an impact on the mobile sites we are creating now using the viewport metatag?

Hey all, just a quick update about ETA Ñ we are looking at launching Mobile Responsive to the public around mid-November. I’ll be writing another update over at inside.unbounce.com and will link to it in this thread when I do, but I wanted to let you all know since we’ve only just recently committed to this deadline. Thank you all for hanging in there, we cannot wait to push this live for everyone!

Cheers,
Carter

Can we please be included in the testing of the Alpha version? This is very critical to us… Thank you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Chris - we’ve expanded the Alpha to quite a few users and we’re looking to roll into beta as soon as possible, once we’re sure there’s not going to be any major usability hurdles for anyone. If you haven’t already, you can sign up for the beta here: http://get.unbounce.com/responsive-beta-access/

Any news on responsive design? it’s a make or break feature that will decide if I keep the account after trial.

Hey Greg, GetSatisfaction is only one of the ways you can chat with us! We have a live chat from within the Unbounce app, you can email our team at support@unbounce.com or you can give us a call at 1-888-515-9161 Ñ we’d love to hear from you. That being said, this is definitely the best forum for discussion around product roadmap and improvements like the one you’re describing.

As for retina quality images, you’re totally right in that they are very important. At the moment our Page Builder team is 100% focused on allowing responsive layout capabilities to make sure that a page can look good on both a desktop and mobile device. We have chosen to leave retina display images until after we’ve achieved that first part, which is what we’re in alpha for today. Once we get this out the door to all of our customers, we’ll begin to look at optimizing images and serving up the appropriate retina versions when needed.

I’m happy to hear your company is keen to use Unbounce! I understand if retina image support is something you need first and foremost, but hopefully you can find value in the tool until we have that supported. Thanks for your feedback Greg!

I am not sure whether this comment is public or private but I will reply as if it were public. Smile is strongly interested in the ability to create landing pages that support retina quality images (HiDPI). In reviewing other landing page solutions, I am very keen on using Unbounce. I find that Unbounce has a broader set of features that are very important to what Smile needs. As a Mac company, lack of support for HiDPI - retina quality images makes Unbounce untenable as a landing page provider. If you are able to provide HiDPI support in the near term, we would be very interested in participating and contributing to your beta program. Is there a way in which this issue can be discussed further or is getsatisfaction.com the only means to communicate with Unbounce staff?

Hey there Ñ we are currently in a private Alpha with a handful of customers (~20) using the feature. We’re actively gathering feedback and fixing up some bugs and adding some remaining functionality (the ability to hide page sections on mobile for example, or allowing element backgrounds to be different between mobile and desktop.) We’re shooting to extend the Alpha into a larger Closed Beta (with 200+ customers) as soon as we can this Fall. If you haven’t already, sign up for Beta access over here and we’ll try and get you in.

We’ve just redesigned our website in responsive design using Shopify, so would be essential that our landing pages were also responsive I would think.
What’s the latest on this please?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Matt - Carter can probably give additional insight when he’s back in the office (he’s off on vacation this week), but since retina/HiDPI screens weren’t common place when the Page Builder was conceived, the idea was that this would keep it as simple as possible from a usage perspective and since there wasn’t the need for really high quality images, automatically optimize for common screens (at the time) and also delivery speed.

Found this thread from searching. I’m also hoping for HiDPI image support, as most mobile devices these days have some sort of HiDPI screen. Clearly it’s difficult to accommodate every user’s needs, but when it comes to image placement I’m curious as to why you didn’t just use max-width: 100% for image containers rather than resize images from the library based on container dimensions.

Using max-width: 100% would allow users to upload @2x images and simply make containers that are @1x size. Of course there are performance implications but I feel that onus is more on the end user rather than you at Unbounce.

Hi Greg, at the moment we don’t do any gracefully handling of retina images unfortunately. Our focus today is on allowing pages to have separate layouts between mobile and desktop breakpoints. Better image handling will follow that…

So, I am trying to make sure that I follow this thread others related to creating Retina quality images.

Does Unbounce currently support Retina quality images or HiDPI?

If not, is that feature available in an Alpha version of Unbounce?

Sincerely,

Mike

Hey all,
We’re still hard at work on this feature and have actually moved into a closed Alpha stage with a handful of customers trying it out. I’ve written a blog post about our progress that you can read over on our Inside Unbounce blog…

Cheers,
Carter

Userlevel 3

Got your account tagged Kostas 🙂