Hotjar AB Test Implementation - Order of Script Execution

Dear unbounce community!

I am fairly new to unbounce and this is my first post, so please bear with me 🙂

I have enabled our AB Testing for myurl and generated Variant A and Variant B. I learnt that these two URLs are differentiated by the URL extension as myurl/a.html andmyurl/b.html. These URLs, however, are not sent to Hotjar for the Heatmap setup. Hence, I need to work with the Javascript trigger. I also implemented it working fine for my Landing Page. However, I had to place my general Hotjar Tracking code and my snippet code in the Variant Script Manager.
If I want to apply this setup to all my Landing Pages (approx 15 with 2 Variants each) I would generate a lot of manual work.
I read that the execution order of scripts in unbounce is Variant Scripts > Global Scripts. Since the general Hotjar tracking code must be executed prior to the variant specific snippet, I was wondering whether there is any convenient option to make a global script execute prior to all the variant scripts? Like this I would be able to add the global hotjar script once in the script manager and only change minor snippets on a variant level.

Maybe you even have different solutions, how I can work with global variables being sent from the script manager.

Thank you have a great day,
Marius

2 replies

Hi Hristian,

thank you very much for your prompt response.

The JS trigger needs to be page specific because I have an individual JS snippet per variant heatmap.

In this post you mentioned the options to adjust the standard hotjar implementation. If I understand correctly I now need to define a JS snippet (e.g. hj('trigger', 'my_lp_1_variant_a');) and post it into my JS for a specific page.

The option of placing the JS trigger (page specific) into the<BODY> instead of the <HEAD> might work. I will check this option.

Thanks,
Marius

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @Team_Vation,

So what’s stopping you from loading the Hotjar tracking code followed by the JS trigger all from the Global Script Manager?

Your JS trigger shouldn’t be page specific anyway.

Best,
Hristian

EDIT: The main Hotjar script needs to be placed in the <HEAD> while the JS trigger should ideally be placed in the <BODY> so the JS trigger has enough time to get the pageID and variantID which you should be using to trigger the heatmap.