[How-to] Use Geotargeting to Display a Visitors Location on a Page

Userlevel 6
  • Former Unbouncer
  • 198 replies

Want to take the personalization of a page to the next level? Maybe you want to display a visitor’s location on the page or pre-fill a city/ region form field.

Now you can using a FREE IP lookup database called GEOLOCATION DB and all it takes is a simple AJAX call and some basic JS. Even better, it’s written for you!

You can see this in action (built in Unbounce) here:
http://unbouncepages.com/geoip-db-location-example/

This also works in both a pop up and a lightbox: http://unbouncepages.com/test-location-convertable/

How to Install in Unbounce

Click Here for Instructions

🚨
This is not an official Unbounce feature. This functionality is based entirely on third party code, and has only been tested in limited applications. Since this isn’t a supported Unbounce feature, our support team will be unable to assist if things go awry. So if you are not comfortable with HTML, Javascript and CSS, please consider consulting an experienced developer.

UPDATE

Step 0

Geolocation DB now requires users to signup in order to use their service. It’s a free signup that will give you a unique API key that must be included in the URL in the code that makes the request to get the location of a visitor.

Once you’ve signed up for a free account you will wan to use the jsonp URL that is provide. It should look something like this:
https://geolocation-db.com/jsonp/[YOUR API KEY]”

Step 1.

Copy this JavaScript and add it to the page “before body end tag”:
REMEMBER TO UPDATE THE URL

<script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.2/jquery.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script>
   jQuery.ajax({
    url: "https://geolocation-db.com/jsonp/[YOUR API KEY]",
    jsonpCallback: "callback",
    dataType: "jsonp",
    success: function( location ) {
      var country = location.country_name;
      var region = location.state;
      var city = location.city;
      var lat = location.latitude;
      var long = location.longitude;

// add classes to display location info on page
      //City
      jQuery(".cityText").text(city);

//Region
      jQuery(".regionText").text(region);

//Country
      jQuery(".countryText").text(country);

}
  }); 
</script>

Step 2.

Decide on the text you’d like to use to dynamically display the location information (the AJAX call will make available the country, region, city, latitude, and longitude information from a visitors IP).

Double click the text box and click the “view source” button in the bottom right. Wrap the text you wish to be dynamic with a span and assign the relevant class to display the location information. Here’s a screenshot of what that would look like to display the city info:

####The Default classes for the script are as follows. You can change them if you wish, just be sure to update the javascript to match!

City = "cityText"
Region = "regionText"
Country = "countryText"

Step 3. OPTIONAL Prefill Form Fields with Location Information

You can pre-fill a form field or preselect a dropdown (as long as the option exists) by adding some code to the script. Make sure the ID of your field in the form matches the ID in the code below (you can edit either or both to match):
> $("#cityField").val(city);
> $("#provinceField").val(region);
> $("#countryField").val(country);

Step 4. OPTIONAL Add a Google Map Displaying the Visitors City

Add a custom HTML widget to the page and paste in the following div tag:
<div id="map-container"></div>

Then paste in the following code into the script. Note you can change the size of the map by adjusting the “height” attribute of the iframe:

var frame = '<div class="embed-container maps"><iframe width="100%" height="481px" frameborder="0" style="border:0" src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed/v1/place?key=AIzaSyBvWSn-wEccZ_YSMG-xW7CfyaecyV1j0uA&q='+city+'+'+region+'" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>'

$("#map-container").html(frame);

Want to take your Unbounce landing pages + Convertables™ to the next level?
:spinbounce: Check out the Ultimate List of Unbounce Tips, Scripts & Hacks

86 replies

Has this stopped working? It was working for me before but now defaults to placeholder text. The sample links in the original post don’t seem to work for me either.

Userlevel 6

Hi Scott! I just had a look and the code will still work. However it looks like Geolocation DB now requires a free signup in order to use their service and make requests via their API.

Signing up for a free account will get you an API key and a new URL to use when making a request to the API. After signing up all you need to do is paste in that new URL with the API key in the code and replace the URL in

url: "https://geoip-db.com/jsonp/"

Once that new URL is added everything should work as before 🙂

Hey Rob!

It appears the signup for https://geolocation-db.com/ doesn’t work anymore.
I tried multiple times and it keeps timing out. Can you recommend any good free alternatives?

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey @Marketing Mark ,

Thanks for your comment. Were you able to complete the signup process in the end? I just tried myself and was able to get my API key and URL first time (I signed up through my Google account if that helps).

Hey @Marketing Mark ,

Thanks for your comment. Were you able to complete the signup process in the end? I just tried myself and was able to get my API key and URL first time (I signed up through my Google account if that helps).

Nope, still unable to sign up. It keeps timing out… i also tried using a google account.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey @Marketing Mark ,

Nope, still unable to sign up. It keeps timing out… i also tried using a google account.

Thanks for confirming @Marketing Mark . I am sorry that you are still having this issue. I wish I had some alternatives for you, but this is something I am far from an expert on. My only suggestion would be to try signing up with a different device on a different network, or to turn off your VPN if you are using one.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you for this!

Badge

Wow! I have been looking for something like this forever. Thank you so much for putting this together.  

I have implemented it on my page, but not having any luck with it working. I’m sure i’ve done something wrong. 

Any chance someone can take a quick look? www.trojansteel.com

Badge

Wow! I have been looking for something like this forever. Thank you so much for putting this together.  

I have implemented it on my page, but not having any luck with it working. I’m sure i’ve done something wrong. 

Any chance someone can take a quick look? www.trojansteel.com

Ok, I have been able to make this work after some tinkering. Only question now- how do I make it where it shows City, State?

For the life of me i cannot get this working, maybe the script is outdated now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @heatfactory

It would be easier for us to troubleshoot this for you if you include a link to your page. 

You can also copy your page and publish to the unbouncepages domain you have available to you if you don’t want to share the actual page.