Tracking form submissions in Google Analytics

• 7 November 2017
  • 6 replies

Hello,
I’d like to track successfully submitted landing page forms as events or destinations in Google Analytics.
I’ve read the blogs/posts/comments and still can’t figure it out!

Your help would be super duper appreciated!

Thanks,

Selina.

6 replies

Hey @Selina!

There are a couple of ways to do this. Just in case you missed them, here are a couple of helpful topics, but I’ll also elaborate below:

1. https://documentation.unbounce.com/hc/en-us/articles/203509974-Integrating-with-Google-Analytics
  2. How-To: Set up Goals in Google Analytics

Tracking as Event

Assuming that you’ve correctly configured Google Analytics on your Unbounce account (both of the links above outline how to do this), Unbounce will automatically start sending events to Analytics. You can check to see if this is working by navigating to Behavior > Events > Overview in your Google Analytics account.

Once you’ve confirmed that this is the case, you’ll want to set up an event-based goal in your Analytics account (Admin > Goals within the View that’s associated with the property that you’re tracking). When you get to the “Goal Details” step, you’ll want to set the fields up like so:

Category - Equals to - Form
Action - Equals to - Submit
Label - Equals to - [YOUR CONTACT FORM SUBMIT BUTTON ID] 

(Note: You can find the submit button ID in the Unbounce editor by clicking on your submit button and looking under “Element metadata”)

And that should do it! There could be a delay from when a form is submitted and when Analytics starts displaying the data, so you might have to give it up to a day or two before you can really be sure that it’s working.

Tracking as Destination

This is the method that I’m using. I’ve found that event tracking in my case wasn’t 100% accurate because I have a custom script that interrupts the default submit behavior in order to do some validation. It shouldn’t be a problem for you if you’re not doing anything crazy on submit, but you mentioned destination tracking anyway, so I’ll include it!

Again, you’ll want to ensure that you’ve correctly configured Google Analytics on your Unbounce account. This method also assumes that you’re sending your leads to some kind of destination/thank you page after they’ve submitted a form.

For this, you’ll want to set up a destination-based goal in Analytics. Under “Goal Details”, simply add the URI path in the “Destination” field. If your destination page is https://www.example.com/thanks, you would just put /thanks in the “Destination” field.

And that’s about it! Let me know if you run into any trouble along the way and I’ll try to elaborate. Happy tracking! 📈

Thanks Leah.ann,

I have tried tracking as a destination by using this addition to the URL - “/.±form_confirmation.html”.
I set it up yesterday, and GA hasn’t tracked anything yet. I’ll leave it until tomorrow, if it still hasn’t tracked submissions, I’ll try using the ‘event’ suggestion you have given.

I’ll keep you posted!
Thanks,
Selina.

Hey again!

There are a couple of things to keep in mind if you’re using Unbounce’s form confirmation dialogue as your thank you page (as opposed to directing your traffic to a different URL).

I’m sure you’ve already checked this, but just to cover all the bases, your regular expression might need to change depending on how you have your landing page set up. The one you’re using right now is if you have your landing page as its own path i.e. www.example.com/landing-page/. However, if you have it set up on a subdomain i.e. try.example.com, you’ll need to change your regex to ^/.+-form_confirmation\.html

Also, make sure that you have “Regular expression” selected from the dropdown in your GA goal details (the default is “Equals to”).

Assuming it’s not one of those things and it’s still not tracking, would you mind sharing your landing page? I totally understand if you’re not ready to post it publicly, but that would just help me troubleshoot a little better!

Hi Leah.ann,

I use the script manager in unbounce with GTM, but, I do not have any events that automatically get pushed through to GA.

Setting up a form submit event was very difficult. The page does not refresh when a form is submitted and finding a solution that works was difficult.

GTM’s auto event trigger for form submission did not work for me. I had to use auto event - clicks all elements and trigger fired - url - contains - form_confirmation.html.

In the tag I used;
Category: lead conversion
Action: Form Submit
Label: {{pageurl}}

Tested in real time reports and looked good.

On your solution above, wouldn’t you have to create a data layer variable for your button ID to use in your tag as the label?

Destination goal was definitely the easier route for me.

Thanks,
Charles

Hey Charles!

My solution above actually relies on the Google Analytics script provided in the Unbounce Script Manager, not the GTM script. While I don’t use GTM with Unbounce, I believe you’re right in that adding the GTM script via the Script Manager will not automatically create events that push to GA. It simply adds the GTM container to your pages, after which you need to create the event tags within GTM.

However, if you add the Google Analytics script via Script Manager, all action items (button clicks, etc.) should be automatically sent as events to your GA account. At that point, you can determine which event matches the ID of your form submit button and set up a goal for it.

Leah.ann,

I was afraid you were going to say that. I prefer, or at least like, using GTM but, I also love to tinker lol, so maybe I’ll try it with GA in the script manager and see what that looks like.

Thanks!
Charles