Solved

Refresh page for UTM codes

• 27 January 2017
  • 3 replies

Hey all 🙂

I’ve come across a problem - it’s a tricky one, and quite hard to explain.

I have traffic coming from an un-gated (meaning no form fields) landing page (external of unbounce). The traffic then goes to a landing page (unbounce) with a form (located inside of a lightbox). When user fills in the form, I would like some sort of script to refresh the page and add the UTM codes from the form into the URL.
I need this so that I can then track WHO clicks on share buttons or any other buttons on the page. (obviously once the form has been filled out the user can then navigate to other places on the landing page to share or send an email.)

With GA, I can track button clicks, but I cannot track WHO clicks on those buttons.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance 😀

icon

Best answer by Hristian 31 January 2017, 09:13

View original

3 replies

BUMP!

Need a quick answer if anyone has one! 😃

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @erayner,

There is a reason GA doesn’t allow tracking of personally identifiable information.
So whatever you do make sure you read their guidelines on what you can push to GA and what you should not. Otherwise, you might get your GA account suspended.

If traffic coming to your Unbounce landing page already cary the UTM parameters, you can write a script to append said parameters to certain links on your page. It can happen on page load and they don’t need to submit the form.

However, make sure you don’t have any personally identifiable information in those UTM parameters.

Best,
Hristian

thanks for the info 🙂

I actually did some googling and found the same thing so i’ve decided not to track people the way I wanted to 🙂