Popups: Q&A with Finge Holden ⭐

• 21 February 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
  • Former Community Manager @ Unbounce
  • 831 replies

Earlier this month, I was lucky enough to sit down with one of our Unbounce Experts, Finge Holden. Finge is the founder of ConversionLab in Trondheim, Norway, and has seen much success using popups and sticky bars in his campaigns.

I asked him a series of questions regarding his experience with popups to get to the bottom of how they can be used to maximize conversions.

What should be the first popup that users should try? (Blog subscription, content download, etc.)

Finge prefers email drip series. Offering an ebook (for example) allows you to get a visitor’s email address, but that’s it. If you have a drip series, say 5 emails over a period of 10 days, that would allow you to divide the content into 5 digestible pieces.

Having some sort of gated content (for example, a blog post), as long as it’s valuable and related to the content on your landing pages, gives you a further opportunity to engage with your visitors.

What’s “the trick” to using popups and sticky bars successfully?

When you’re driving paid traffic, visitors find your page through Google adwords and land on your page where you’re trying to sell them something. In most cases, you’re going for a trial account, leads, or something similar. However, this might be the user’s first visit to your page, so expecting a user to immediately convert could be compared to proposing on the first date. But, if you’re able to offer good content in a popup, that can significantly increase your conversion rate.

Let’s say you get 100 visitors and 3 of them convert, what do you do with the other 97? Are you going to retarget them? You could, but then what can you expect in a click rate on those ads? Maybe you get 1% conversion from the 97, then you drive them back to a landing page to try and convert them again, which they didn’t do the first time. It’s better to try to capture them while they’re on the landing page before they leave to start the lead nurture process.

What’s the most compelling or valuable thing about popups and sticky bars?

A second chance at converting your visitors. (drops mic) 🎤

What would you say to someone who doesn’t like popups?

Finge urges them to try it, it increases conversion rates significantly. With landing pages, not everyone will like it because some visitors will want to navigate as they would on a website. The same goes for popups, not everyone will like it but overall it’s going to benefit your business.

Discussion time! Perhaps you’ve used similar tactics, or completely different tactics! What kind of results have you seen using Unbounce popups? We want to hear it, and of course @finge will be around to answer any questions you may have.

Jump into the conversation in the comments below! 👇

2 replies

@Finge Could not be more right on the last point:

You just have to try them. They will help your business grow! In our business, we do 80/20 lead gen to eCommerce. So I often think “how do I get this topic tactic to translate to a lead gen site?” There are so many use cases for eCommerce pop-ups/sticky bars. But I find that if you think through the user flow you can often find parallels.

So whether you are marketing an eCommerce site or a lead gen site you can try popups or sticky bars and see a real conversion lift to your business.

Joe

Reminds me of a Drayton Bird story, i can’t find it now. The ending of the story is “you buy 1000 units of xyz and we’ll run the ad you like” -

i.e what one likes and what converts and makes money are often not the same.

We have popups on all of our campaigns now after some thorough testing - with the right messaging we have always got an uplift (sometimes it takes a few goes to find the right offer / message / copy).