Are 1:1 landing pages ideal, always?

• 15 March 2018
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I’ve been wondering for some time whether having a 1:1 attention ratio is really the best option for my landing pages.

I work in a CONDOR GROUP, B2B business, providing industrial generators and air compressors (the big ones for manufacturing, not small ones for homes). So far, I’ve always stuck to 1:1 landing pages, but I’ve started to think that this might not be such a great idea after all.

Our products are fairly complex, so that while their features can be condensed into a few key points, we can’t provide all the information on a single landing page. Our prospects are often looking for technical information, and like to see all the product models available – we have all this information on our webpage (condorgroup.com.ar), and each product has its own datasheet, but we aren’t allowing our prospects to access this info. We’re blocking the way to the info they need – unless they give us their details.

I realize that the point behind having a 1:1 attention ratio is that it clarifies the page’s purpose, and everything on the page points to a single action – and at the same time, it filters out the hot leads from the lukewarm and cold. Which ought to be great – you don’t waste time with the tyre kickers (because they don’t convert!) and only worry about those who are really interested. My concern is that in our industry, this is causing us to lose leads because we are asking for personal details at such an early stage.

I believe there are prospects who would classify as hot leads, but who don’t convert, because they don’t feel committed enough, or haven’t received enough value to make them part with their personal details. They haven’t seen enough – they haven’t seen which products are contained in each of our product ranges, or been able to check the technical specs of each. I’ve seen visitors who searched for “CONDOR GROUP compressors”, or even, “CONDOR GROUP compressor model XXX” leave our landing pages without converting, because the detailed info they were looking for was not there.

If I was offering lower-value products, 1:1 landing pages would probably be a great option. But I’m not so sure about higher-value products, such as the ones we offer. Personally speaking, I am quite willing to exchange my personal details for the preview of a book worth, say, $15. But our prospects, who are often seeking a product worth between US$1,000 and $300,000 – will they be prepared to part with their personal information, after seeing only the content of one landing page? Before making such a move, wouldn’t they like to have a look at all the specs and details of the product, and try to refine their search by seeing what products are available?

Please weight in with your comments!

Jordan

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Great questions, Jordan. I hate to use the old cliche, but it really depends. That’s the beauty of A/B testing though. I’d strongly recommend running an A/B test to test the exact theory you’ve outlined. You’d send 50% of your traffic to a 1:1 LP, and the other 50% to the more complex, “ecommerce” style page with all the specs and models outlined. And see which converts better. That’s really the only way to know for sure.

Beyond that, I can say that I’ve seen 1:1 LPs convert very well in the B2B space for high-ticket items. We worked with a client who sold pallet racks, and the average order was thousands of dollars. The offer that converted the best for them was a simple “get a custom quote” page. It was an unbounce page with a form and a phone number. Not sure if that approach is something you’ve tried, but it may be worth exploring a landing page where the offer is a custom quote. For big-ticket purchases, people want to have the extra attention and personalization, so it might make sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Jordan,

Nicholas makes some great points and I want to add a few more:

You kind of already have the answer in your long post, you just need to look at it from a different perspective.

Based on your post, I would create a few different pages targeting leads/potential buyers through out the different stages of the buying process.

Technically speaking, you can’t classify someone as a hot lead if they never convert or express their desire.

• Target these early stage/research leads with a specific offer and a landing page. Don’t ask for too much personal information. Probably just an email address should be enough to get them in an automated funnel. Deliver more information to them in the form of email drips/catalogs.

• Ask for a bit more information on each step of the funnel until they are “warm” enough for a personal contact and you are sure they are just not tyre kickers.

• Throw in some retargeting to stay top of mind.

• You can even test a multi-step from with some “easy” prequalifying questions before you get to the personal info.

Create another offer/landing page that would serve value to more qualified leads. Get them to engage with further by providing a quote through a calculator or at least help them narrow down the choice of equipment for them. Send them detailed specs only on the equipment that makes sense for their particular offer.

• You can get creative here with quiz type landing pages, calculators, etc.

• I would even throw in some kind of chat option as a more direct way of getting in touch with you.

Create landing pages and offers that are highly personalized to these leads. You have a higher chance of conversion if the landing page talks about “compressor model XXX” rather than the whole range of products your company is offering.

• Depending on the particulars of the business, you might be able to take advantage of the great DTR feature Unbounce offers.

You should never make an assumption based on your personal preferences. Talk to your current customers. Talk to leads who have converted.

• Ask them what made them convert. Listen and use what they tell you to improve your landing pages.

• Try on page surveys/polls to get some feedback from visitors. If you are getting enough traffic to these pages, you will be able to get some decent copywriting examples you can use straight on your pages or potentially find holes in your offer.

The range stated above (1K to 300K) is quite large. You can’t serve these customers equally with the same offer/landing page.

• Based on your current customers and their purchasing decisions, group your potential customers into different segments/groups. Also known as personas. Write your offers to speak directly to these individual groups.

• I can guarantee you that the purchasing decision behind a 2K equipment and a 300K would be substantially different. Their needs are different. Their approval process and budgeting are different. The type of equipment they need is different.

• All of this also assumes your potential customers know what they are looking for but experience tells me a big part of them don’t even know what they need. At least those on the lower end of the price.

• The higher the purchase price, the higher the chance that the person doing the research won’t be the one making the final decision. If a factory needs an industrial grade compressor for $200K the CEO or another C-level exec want to see different offers in front of them. Their assistant/secretary would be tasked with “chewing down” the information and providing options. But guess what - their assistant can distinguish between a compressor and a vacuum cleaner.

• The above example might seem a bit extreme but I’ve seen it across different industries over and over again. That’s why you need to talk to your customers. The only way you can get a somewhat definitive profile.

Last but not least, you want to control the conversation. You want to provide a clear path for your visitors to become leads. You should never let them figure it out by themselves. Chances are they will be overwhelmed by all the information they find and won’t be able to make heads/tails of what you have to offer.

• By figuring out your customer groups and creating dedicated landing pages for them that speak directly to them, you’ll stay in control of the process. You will help and guide them to the right product and eventually have them speaking to a sales rep that has a pretty good idea of their business and their needs.

Now that you can call a hot lead.

Best,
Hristian

P.S. Try testing out popups as well. Test a few different triggers to find the right fit between messaging and triggers.

P.S.S. Make sure your analytics tracking is in order. Track these potential leads as much as possible. Learn if they come back to your site. Figure out the length of their decision making.

Hey Nicholas, thanks for your reply. I’ll definitely be testing this - seems to be the only way to really see which option works better!

Cheers,

Jordan

Very good points, Hristian. I forgot to mention in my post that I’ve been observing visitor behaviour for over a month with Hotjar (my description of what customers are looking for isn’t based on personal assumptions). It soon became very clear that the visitors were searching for something beyond the landing page.

And as to the 1K to 300K range, don’t worry, we are using different LPs for different personas - however the underlying idea (that of using a 1:1 landing page) is the same in each case.

I’m going to be setting up some A/B testing with 1:1 landing page vs a slightly more complex page with more options, and see how they stack up against one another. Thanks for the suggestions, will throw them in as well (we’re using the chat option, but not much else at the moment).

Cheers,

Jordan