Landing page not generating any leads at all

1: What challenge are you currently trying to solve?
Visitors to the site aren’t engaging with any elements. They drop off without doing anything.

2: How are you driving traffic to your page?
PPC.

3: What is your conversion goal?
I’d like to get at least 5% filling out the contact form.

4: Provide a link to your published landing page / convertable:
ex. https://approved.rateshop.ca

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there!

I took a look at your landing page, and I don’t think it’s to do with the page itself if you’re not getting leads because the page looks good!

Can you tell us a bit more about how you’re driving traffic to your page? That’s typically the culprit. If the page is good, sometimes the audience isn’t the right match.

The more we know, the better we’re able to help you out. Let me know!

In the meantime I’m going to loop in one of my favourite landing page critiquers @Nicholas because he gives such good feedback and can speak a bit more about the page itself. 🙂

I’ll keep an eye out for your response.

-Jess

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey there, here’s a short video with some feedback for you: https://www.loom.com/share/3d7b1856bc16421aa4286e628a819897

As @Jess mentioned, seeing the ad and knowing more about the traffic source would help provide better insights. Best of luck with the page!

Regards,

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I’ll definitely implement some of your suggestions.

Traffic source is Google PPC based on keywords: “mortgage rates” “best mortgage rates” “canada mortgage rates” etc.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Before spending too much time getting into nitty gritty tweaks, I would test the offfer. I’m just note sure how many people would have interest in a 5-year mortgage. Some car loans run longer. Have you tried promoting 15- and 30-year mortgaged?

We do mortgages differently in Canada, Sean, unfortunately. 5-year terms is overwhelmingly the most popular mortgage type.

I’ve made some changes. I tried focusing on showing value by demonstrating the difference in rates between other banks and the amount of money you could save, as well as adding trust enhancers.

The ‘what type of property dropdown’ doesn’t have any options… makes the page look broken… not sure I would continue if there was a place to enter something but wasn’t letting me do anything…

How are you PPC ads structured? Quality score? As others were saying the journey starts there.

It looks like you’re testing or have two variations?
https://approved.rateshop.ca/a.html
https://approved.rateshop.ca/d.html

Variation D talks about Fixed and Variable rates. You could add and split those two as both landing pages and for your PPC campaign. One all about fixed and the other variable.

On Variation A have you tried using the “Rates from 2.74%” with the bullet point list and form at the top of the page? I like bullet point information because it’s fast to digest with what I need to know.

Ads are based on the keywords “mortgage rates” “best mortgage rates” “mortgage interest rates” “ontario mortgage rates.” Quality scores are 6/7 out of 10.

I’m not currently sending any traffic to variation D. I have another campaign set up for keywords specifically related to terms, like “+5 year +fixed mortgage” or “+5 year +variable mortgage” with the landing page specifically related to those terms. This one is meant to be a bit broader.

Userlevel 5
Badge

OK. That’s interesting.

In that case, I would try testing a couple of things.

1. You said you aren’t driving traffic to version D, but I would be interested to see how something like that (at least the top part) compares. The CTA stands out much more on that than version A.

2. It’s possible that the people you are attracting to the page are just at the stage where they are comparing rates but aren’t ready to pull the trigger on an application yet. I would test a lead gen type offer and see if you have a bit more luck following up with those people when they have compared all their options.

Maybe instead of a formal application (more of a commitment), you could position it as a no-obligation rate quote or pre-authorization to lock their rate in for a certain period of time.

Hi!

I think your issue is the offer.

Your offer says, “Get Approved Now”. It seems unusual to ask a customer to get a mortgage approval within seconds of learning about your company. (Unless, things work differently in Canada.)

Your call-to-action is worded as if you are attempting to do a direct sale. Typically, the rule in advertising is: “the bigger the decision the harder it is to sell directly” and thus the need for a lead magnet (as mentioned by Sean above) so that you can follow up with an email or phone call.

In other words, a mortgage might be too significant to be sold in such a direct way. (I know pre-approval is quite the same as actually giving someone the mortgage, but it may still feel like a major step for the customer.)

I recommend you consider the following questions:

1. Where is the customer in the decision process when they’ve used the Google keywords your targeting? It could be that the customer is still learning about their options. If so, a better offer might be something like, "Get This Free Brochure That Explains Your Home Financing Options"

From there, you can send follow-up emails to build a relationship with the customer so that when they are ready to get their mortgage your company is the natural choice.

2. Is this the sort of step customers feel comfortable taking when first finding out about your company? Since you are an established company that has been offering mortgages successfully for a while, you have a wealth of sales process data already sitting in someone’s head.

It might be worthwhile to review the sales process from your existing successful channels to figure out what questions and concerns customers usually have before volunteering their information to get approved for a mortgage.

Then make sure you’re not skipping those steps on your landing page.

If you’re trying to skip to the end without addressing those same concerns that your sales people hear on other channels, then the landing page will never get the inquiries you’re hoping for.

I hope that helps!

Ayo

Hi Ayo, that’s a really good insight. I was trying to focus on getting qualified leads in the part of the buying process where they’re ready to proceed with a mortgage, but giving another look at my keywords that’s probably not too likely. Obviously I don’t know the exact sorts of searches people in that very particular part of the journey.

I’ve tried rejigging the offer to be less direct.

I’d like to thank everyone that’s replied so far. You’ve all given me a lot to think about!