Do you have a landing page per main source of trafic ?

• 27 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi !

Most of the time we use one landing page per product / client for all the trafic we buy (facebook, google, email, native, sms).

But I find it very hard to optimise the Conversion Rate in Unbounce when there is so much difference between channels. For example, native ads usually convert at less than 1% while email can go as high as 15% or more.

I’m looking into separating at least the native ads from the rest and maybe google also.

Anyone willing to share how they manage their optimization ? 

julien

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Oooh, this is an important topic! The first thing I do when onboarding a new client is to ALWAYS reduce number of landing pages - and especially on a setup where there have one landing page per traffic source. 

As long as your value proposition is the same, I think you should always use 1 landing page for all traffic sources. And even if messaging varies across different traffic sources you can adjust the value proposition using Dynamic Text Replacement to make the page work for all messaging.

By funneling as much traffic through 1 landing page as possible you get more data through the optimization process, wether A/B testing or smart traffic. This will enable you to conclude tests faster and optimize more.

A key to this approach is using GA or similar for your analytics. That will let you drill down performance by traffic source, device category, any give time frame, and so much more. This is crucial for any optimization. The overall numbers you get from Unbounce reporting is not detailed enough for proper testing.

In the case above where your native ads convert at less than 1% I would simply filter out those numbers, and perform A/B testing based on the other traffic sources. See attached screenshot for how you can view data per traffic source.

This is just scratching the surface of how I would set up optimization, but this is the foundation to optimizing Unbounce landing pages in my opinion.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We actually went the other way to @Finge in the past: we don’t necessarily have a landing page per source, but we did end up splitting out a few.

For example, our facebook ads are pretty good at driving awareness and consideration, but we definitely saw more intent from paid search ads. The result is that our SEM LPs are pretty bare and push you into our flow while our Social LPs have more content explaining who we are and what we do,

Potentially this could have worked through smart traffic too (i.e. the tool would have figured it out and we could have a “single” landing page), but at the time we felt we had more control and the pages are so different that if we want to make them evolve I’m not certain it makes sense to have them together on a single URL.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@GregorySR, that also makes sense! The “one-page-recipe” won’t fit for every case, so there are exceptions of course 😉 As a rule of thumb though…