Skip to main content

Hello Guys,

I will attempt to explain this as succinctly as I can, so please bear with me.

I have three clients for whom I run Google Ads. All clients use the same Systems and they are as follows: Salesforce (CRM), Call Tracking Metrics (Phone), Google Ads (PPC), and an Unbounce Landing Page tied to their primary campaign.

One of the accounts is only a week old and this is the account I am having issue with. Unbounce will not capture the GCLID and append it into the hidden field in my form . When I look in the “Leads” section of the Unbounce Interface page it shows all Value Track Parameters I have added (device, keyword, campaign, matchtype) but does not capture the GCLID. This tells me that these parameters are being adding to the LPURL, so why not the GCLID? I ran a test submission with the text “gclid=gclidtest” added to my LPURL and it did capture that specific GCLID. This tells me the form is capable of capturing that data but for some reason it cannot find it during a real ad click and form submission.

To make the situation even more difficult to understand, “Click-To-Calls” from the landing page are being tracked perfectly in Call Tracking metrics, GCLID and all.

My form does not use a “go to URL” it uses “Show form confirmation dialog” so I cannot check the box to pass through URL parameters.

The most confusing part about the whole thing is that the set up is exactly the same as my other two clients and those pages capture the GCLID through forms at around 92% historically. +/- 8% is more than adequate for my campaign optimization. 

In summary, my auto tagging on google ads and value track parameters are all set up in a way that has proven to work with unbounce’s gclid capture capabilitys. However for this new client, I cannot get this information to send through forms.

Does anyone have a script or anything else to make trying to solve this problem easier?

Hi @NJB_PPC,

It sounds like you've done a thorough job setting up everything, and it’s great that your other clients are successfully capturing GCLIDs. Since the issue only affects one client, here are a few things to check and a potential solution:

1. Ensure Auto-Tagging is Enabled: Although you mentioned that auto-tagging is set up, double-check that it’s properly enabled for this specific client account. Even if it’s enabled on the campaign level, sometimes there can be glitches that prevent it from appending the GCLID.

2. URL Parameters in Unbounce: While the form uses "Show form confirmation dialog" (which doesn’t pass URL parameters like GCLID by default), you can still manually capture the GCLID and store it in a hidden field. Here’s a script you can use:

<script>
    $(document).ready(function() {
    var urlParams = new URLSearchParams(window.location.search);
    var gclid = urlParams.get('gclid');
    if (gclid) {
    $('input name="gclid"]').val(gclid);
    }
    });
    </script>

Make sure your form has a hidden field with the name gclid. This script will grab the GCLID from the URL and append it to the hidden field upon form submission.

3. Testing with Live Ads: Since your test submission captured gclid=gclidtest, it indicates the form setup is correct. However, sometimes, Google Ads might not append the GCLID during real ad clicks due to various factors like ad extensions or tracking issues. Ensure you’re testing with real ad clicks (not just preview links) to see if the GCLID is passed.

4. Browser Cache: Clear browser cache and test again. Sometimes caching might cause parameters to not properly reflect during testing.

If these steps don’t resolve it, you might also want to check with me for deeper technical insights. Hope this helps!

Thanks

@Md_Mahinur_Khan 

Thank you for responding. Where would I implement this code? Header? Before Body End Tag?

@NJB_PPC, Please add the code Before Body End Tag and make sure jQuery is enabled/added in the head. Then all will be cool!

@Md_Mahinur_Khan 

Got it, thank you!

One more thing: why would the form capture all the other data? Keyword, device, matchtype, etc?

Aren’t these parameters appended to the LPURL?

Why would the only thing it cannot capture be the GCLID?

I need to check them manually, if you feel free, you can share access via this mail mdmahinurkhan9@gmail.com I’ll check and get back to you shortly. Thanks!

Can I add you now? @Md_Mahinur_Khan 

@NJB_PPC Yes, please

@Md_Mahinur_Khan it appears as if something in my Unbounce page is actually blocking a GCLID from being appended to my final URL. When I clicked on one of my own ads not GCLID was added.

I just chatted with google and they said that the GCLID is “dropping” and I need to check with a web developer as to why. Is there anyone you could point me in the direction of to help me with this? I do not have a web developer.

Hi @NJB_PPC!

Yep sure, I have in-house developer. If you want, I can check with him. If so, feel free to reach out to me via email at mdmahinurkhan9@gmail.com or WhatsApp at +8801706000034

Thanks