Tracking conversions to external thank you page

• 16 December 2020
  • 7 replies

I have a page where the code for the form submittal (Including the CTA button) was sent by the client. The thank-you page is an external page from the client as well.

Here is the page I built in Unbounce.

I sent the client this script to be used for the external tracking and asked him to insert it into their thankyou page. I copied and pasted it into an email to send it to them.

<script type="text/javascript"> 
  var _ubaq = _ubaq || [];
  _ubaq.push(['trackGoal', 'convert']);

(function() {
  var ub_script = document.createElement('script');
  ub_script.type = 'text/javascript';
  ub_script.src = 
    ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://' : 'http://') + 
    'd3pkntwtp2ukl5.cloudfront.net/uba.js';
  var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];
  s.parentNode.insertBefore(ub_script, s);
  }) ();
</script>

After the client said this script was inserted into their thankyou page I submitted a few forms to test if the conversions would show up in my Unbounce conversion tracking. It did not show up. At the same time, the overview page is showing that there is no conversion goal set.

I did go ahead and integrate the page with Google analytics but I am still uneasy and unsure if the actual conversions going to the external thankyou page are going to be tracked and not just the visits to the unbounce page. Can anyone think of anything I might have missed or any suggestions?

PS I am not a coder. I have been using unbounce for about 4 months

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @barndogamel,

You are asking a few different things so let’s try to tackle this in order:

1. External conversion tracking will always show up as “No conversion goal set” even when it’s working.

2. Generally speaking, you should not send JS code as part of an email body because it can break. Also depending on their security and script execution rules, the script might not fire at the appropriate time. This one is hard to troubleshoot given the information you’ve provided.

3. You should be able to track all conversion events within Google Analytics since you are essentially changing only sub-domains while remaining on the same domain. You can set goals and events to further dig into the data when needed.

GA tracking and analysis is also recommended in any case. It can give you far more valuable information compared to Unbounce tracking, where you only get the absolute number of conversion.

Best,
Hristian

Thankyou Hristian that is great information and I appreciate your time and help. What would you recommend as far as the best way to get the Google Analytics code to the client so they can insert it into their thankyou page?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @barndogamel,

You can send the snippet as a txt file or as a js file. You can also use a Github gist or Gitlab. There are numerous ways to do it.

However, I just submitted the form and there is no Unbounce external tracking script on the Thank You page. It seems they just didn’t add it at all.

You can also search for the Unbounce External Tracking Chrome extension to check if a page has the necessary script and whether it’s counting conversions, etc.

Best,
Hristian

There are a few issues here with what you’re trying to do.

1. Cross domain tracking might be the reason why your tracking doesn’t work - since ITP / ETP blocks pixels to load in third party context. (this applies to both unbounce tracking and google)
  2. Then, you obviously need to make sure your pixel is set on your client’s page.
  3. Where do you need to see these conversions? I am asking since having a report is nice, but if you are advertising this page / funnel on Facebook, google or other places, you will want to send the conversions to the appropriate pixels in order to optimize your ads.

Thank you for the follow up Hristian. I appreciate it!

Thank you Laurent
I appreciate your help. I am hoping to track the conversions going from the landing page that I created to the thank you page that the client created.

but where do you want to see the conversions?
google analytics? fb pixel?
if so, you can simply trigger the form submit event on your landing page. no need to have a pixel on the client’s thank you page.