Skip to main content

I originally built a landing page for our Contact Us form using the smart builder. Over time the way the page has looked has become clunky so I have created a new page, this time in the classic builder as it gave a lot more flexibility.

I was hoping it would be an easy switch from one to the other, i.e. simply trasnferring the URL in unbounce to the new page. However i get a warning message saying this URL is already taken when I try to give it to the new page. 

My challenge is that google has indexed my page and it shows up in our search results. If I set up the new page and put a 301 redirect in I'll lose the indexing that google has done on the link that currently exists. I'll also loose the unique URL which is most descriptive of what I want to link to. Is there any other way around this?

@Craigpani, I understand your concern about maintaining your Google indexing and keeping your unique URL intact. Unfortunately, in Unbounce, you can't directly transfer a URL from one page to another if the URL is already in use.

However, there's a workaround that might help:

1. 301 Redirect: While a 301 redirect does signal to Google that the page has moved, it generally preserves the SEO value of the original page. Google will eventually index the new page at the same URL, and your search rankings should transfer over time.

2. Switching URLs: You can temporarily change the URL of your current page (for example, adding “-old” to the end) and then assign the original URL to your new page. This allows you to keep the original URL live while making the switch. Be sure to update any links or references to the new URL after this change.

3. Google Search Console: After implementing the change, use Google Search Console to request indexing of the new page. This can help speed up the process of getting the new page indexed.

These steps should help you maintain your SEO while smoothly transitioning to your new page. Let me know if you need further assistance!

You’ve got a couple of solid options here. One of the simplest ways is to set up a 301 redirect from the old page to the new one. This way, anyone trying to access the old URL will automatically be taken to your updated page without any issues. Another tool that might help with this process is an auto link builder. It helps streamline the process of managing multiple links across pages, especially when you’re doing frequent updates or adjustments to landing pages.