How can i take UTM parameters from the url and submit them with the form?

• 30 September 2013
  • 8 replies

I have one landing page that get traffic from 2 different campaigns.
Every campaign is tagged with google UTM tagging.

My question is - can i pass the UTM parameters with the form?

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Sorry for the late reply. Here is the mentioned script

<script type="text/javascript">
jQuery(function(){
  jQuery('input#referrer').val(decodeURI(document.referrer));
}); 
</script>

You need to create a hidden field in your Unbounce form with id “referrer”.

Hi Finge, can you send a link to the script you mentioned? I’m looking for a way to track a referrer via unbounce forms

Check out this tutorial on tracking UTM parameters in Unbounce.

Thx Finge. I’ve implemented your script along w/ the hidden “referrer” field. Unfortunately it has not appeared in the Zapier connector after a few tests. Will monitor it and report back if/when it works.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@sean You should find the documentation here http://documentation.unbounce.com/hc/en-us/articles/203799174-Adding-and-Editing-Form-Fields

Slightly on the side of the topic, but often it can also be useful to add a hidden field for ‘referrer’ as well, letting you see what URL the visitor came from. You can do that by adding a hidden field called ‘referrer’ and adding this script to your page

For some reason the script doesn’t work every time, but still provides value.

@ryan, the link to this documentation now redirects to the homepage of your support site. Do you have a working link to this documentation? i’m having the same issue with my hidden fields not passing the utm params from the URL for some reason. thx

Hey Shuki - Andrew’s exactly right. We’ve also got a post at http://support.unbounce.com/entries/3… that demonstrates how to do this.

Use the form editor to add a hidden field. Give the hidden field the same name as your UTM parameter, e.g. utm_campaign.

The hidden field should capture the utm_campaign value and submit with the form.