Do you have any best practices for naming a subdomain?

• 9 October 2012
  • 3 replies

Do you know if anyone has studied customer perception of the credibility of subdomains? Is promo.example.com perceived more credibly than ads.example.com? Is there a subdomain that rises to the top as the best?

3 replies

Glad to hear that this helped! I actually had a chance to chat with Nikki a bit myself and let her know that we’ve got a few TechSmith subscriptions ourselves. It’s great to hear that you’re trying Unbounce and if there is anything we can help you with, be sure to let us know.

Thanks so much, Ryan! It sounds like Nikki R here at TechSmith also connected with Louise in your support department. We appreciate your responsiveness and willingness to go above and beyond.

The topic probably make for a superb blog post (I actually checked your blog first, thinking it might be addressed there)!

Thanks again!

Hello Daniel,

I don’t have a study to refer you to but if you adhere to the idea of message match (ie: ensuring your ad, page and content’s messaging is congruent), you’ll be right on track to choose an appropriate sub-domain.

First off, I advise that you stay away from “ads”. Domains like “ads.yourdomain.com” are blocked by extensions like AdBlock and I’d argue, don’t inspire a ton of trust.

Be creative. Pick verbs for your subdomain that are related to the action you want your users to take. Some great examples are:

Word on the street is that there might be an Unbounce blog post related to this topic in the future. I’ll post a link to it here when that happens.

I hope this helps!