Tracking traffic in GA from website to unbounce and back to website

• 16 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello, 

I’m wondering if anyone has been able to successfully track end to end journeys in G4 which involved going from a website, out to unbounce and back into a website again? 

We will be sending traffic to the unbounce page from our website but also directly from paid ads. We want to make sure that the prior (users from our website) aren’t being categorised as referrals from unbounce in GA4 when they originated from our website. We do however want the paid ads traffic to be categorised as unbounce referrals.

We only seem to be able to see these users come back in as a referral in GA4, I think. 

Many thanks,

Amy

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi Amy, 

Are your Unbounce pages on a subdomain of the main website?

How many different domains are you routing visitors through?

If everything is under the same domain/subdomain GA4 has no issue tracking them. 

Have you looked into dropped sessions when QA-ing your setup?

With a bit more information and a couple of example pages we might be able to point you in the right direction. 

Best,
Hristian

P.S. If you don’t want to share you pages publicly feel free to DM me directly with a couple example pages so I can take a look. 

Badge

Hi Hristian,

Many thanks for your response. So the page we will link to from our main website navigation (www.thecookaway.com) will be to here: https://explore.thecookaway.com/nye/

Do you know how will this show up in GA4? Will it show up as attributed to the overall referral category or will it show up as just a continue journey if then then re-enter our website? 

Many thanks,

Amy

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @gacallaghan

Assuming you are using the same property, measurement ID, and data streams the traffic should not show up as referral.