Question

External conversion tracking

• 17 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi everyone, 

I've read dozens of pages about this topic, but didn't find a solution that works on my case. So, lets try here!

On almost all of our landing pages, we have a whatsapp widget that the visitor can click to start a conversation. I want to track this as a conversion in Unbounce, but that is where start the problems….

This widget is inserted dynamically, through javascript.

To track that the user clicks on this widget, we use GTM. Every time the user clicks on the widget, a javascript function that we can read on GTM is called. So far I 've already tried:

• Load the external conversion script from Unbounce as a tag on GTM
  • Load the external conversion script from unbounce, using as a function inserted on the landing page and then calling the function through GTM
  • Added a "dummie" URL with "clkg" added to track as a conversion
  • Loaded a URL with "clkg" on an iframe

Unfortunately, all the solutions didn't work, and I get 0 conversions tracked. 

And I need to make this work on Unbounce (and not on analytics)!

Any ideas?

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey there @Roberto_Fernandes,

Thanks for your explanation. The only way to push the conversion back into Unbounce that I’m aware of is to use our External Conversion Tracking Script, details of which can be found here. This will require a ‘thank you’ or confirmation page where the script can be added to the HTML. 

Can I ask what happens once the conversation in the widget has ended? Is the visitor redirected somewhere?

Badge

Hi @Oliver_Lord , thanks for your reply.

The conversation goes through the whatsapp interface, so it's impossible to track after that. 

I was hope that I could track the click as an external conversion, since a confirmation page is not an option here. 

Any other options to "force" a conversion in unbounce? 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Roberto_Fernandes,

Without an external page to add the script to, I am not aware of any other options here, sorry to say.

Hopefully someone on here has found a workaround - I wish you the best of luck!

Olly