Why is there multiple pageviews in analytics when I only have one landing page?

• 19 November 2015
  • 3 replies

I’m driving traffic from Google AdWords to an Unbounce page (white labeled sub-domain). Ultimately, traffic is clicking through to our primary domain/website.

Here are my issues:

• How can there be multiple page views per session reported in Google Analytics when the only links take you away from the page?
  • Why is the bounce rate not 100% because they enter and leave from the same page?
    Has anyone experienced this issue before and have some answers? It is hard to report when our numbers are all over the place and not consistent.

3 replies

Hi Laura,

I’m no expert but here’s what I think might be happening…

• Visitors tend to revisit a page a few times, even if its a landing page. I have several landing pages that have say 20 unique visits, but have been viewed say 38 times.  If the links take the visitor on to the another page on your website with the same GA tracking code, then its irrelevant where the links take the visitor. It’s all counted as one session.

• If the visitor interacts with the page by clicking a button, then that’s not classed as a bounce, because they interacted with the page. Google defines a bounce as ‘Bounce Rate is the percentage of single-page visits (i.e. visits in which the person left your site from the entrance page without interacting with the page)’.

Hope that helps 🙂

Dan

Hi Laura, 

Dan is right!  Visitors tend to revisit a page a few times, in google analytics under the Audience tab there is a section called"Cohort Analysis" where you can check the retention rate of your page.  If you just want to check views per person then check “Unique page views”. 

If you still find a discrepancy in your data then check the tracking code is not loading multiple times, you can check this with Google tag assistant. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk?h…

Hope this helps too! 

All clear on the bounce question.

However, on the pageviews, I am seeing more than 1 page per session, however, there is only one page on the subdomain (the unbounce landing page). The subdomain and primary domain have separate Analytics tracking code altogether. Thoughts?