Why can't I disconnect the changes in the mobile view from the desktop view?

• 23 December 2014
  • 9 replies

Why can’t I disconnect the changes in the mobile view from the desktop view?
Who in the world needs to do position changes in both views?
I can understand if text changes will happen in both views, but why do i need to check every little change i make to be sure it didn’t happen in both places?
If you want to use Hold+Ctrl for something, use it for when you DO want to move elements in both views.
It makes my job as a designer/developer a whole lot slower, risky and difficult.

Not a good experience.

9 replies

Hi Ram,

Thank you for taking the time to write. I understand your frustration. You are not the first person we have heard from who has found this experience disconcerting.

Linking elements when they are first created makes sense so that your first pass at laying out a page places the elements in the correct mobile page sections. In theory, this makes doing the final formatting for mobile faster when creating a new page. In practice, particularly when converting existing pages, the experience is not as smooth.

We are working on two different solutions currently. The first is to do exactly what you suggested, only reparenting things when you hold down the +Ctrl.

The second is a set of algorithms that will help format the page to mobile for you, leaving you with only a few tweaks and design decisions to complete the mobile formatting.

Both these solutions are in development now. We expect to be able to release a solution very early in the new year.

Thank you very much, i appreciate the answer and the efforts.

Thanks again.

Has there been an update on this? I am experiencing the same issues.

Hi Matt, 
We haven’t updated the UX for mobile/desktop responsive yet, but the original method should still work just fine for most folks. If you’re having trouble making mobile specific changes, we’d love to hop on a quick screen-share to walk through it and see where the issue is. Let us know!

Hi Matt, 
We haven’t updated the UX for mobile/desktop responsive yet, but the original method should still work just fine for most folks. If you’re having trouble making mobile specific changes, we’d love to hop on a quick screen-share to walk through it and see where the issue is. Let us know!

How do I do this on a Mac?  If I hold Ctrl, it is a right click.

I’m also on a Mac - try holding “Command” instead.

Until this is updated, the whole tool is a non-starter… I don’t recall being instructed in the quick tutorial that I had to use some key combination to LOCK DOWN elements so they wouldn’t shift, every time I switch back and forth between desktop/mobile. I have wasted a ton of time on this.

I still don’t get this.  Holding down COMMAND works for re-positioning something, I guess, but you can’t hold it down when you’re editing text, so any line break changes get automatically transferred over, right?