When should I add scripts to only a landing page or form confirmation page? (And when to include it on all?)

• 14 April 2017
  • 3 replies

It’s been a while since I added a script to the Script Manager, and I just noticed that it now has the option to add the script to either the main page, the form confirmation page, a lightbox, or all three:

How does this affect scripts like Google Analytics? Am I missing any data if it’s not added to all three? If I’m using a retargeting service like Adroll, will I be able to track if the user converted on a landing page? Are there any drawbacks to adding any script to all three?

3 replies

Hey, I noticed that no one has answered your question yet, so I thought I’d take a crack at it. 🙂

You’ll likely want to add your Analytics tracking script to all of these pages. If you don’t, some event hits might not be recorded. Depending on how you’re tracking your forms, choosing not to include it on all pages might also prevent your form submission goal from firing (if you’re using destination goal tracking in Analytics, for example).

The only reason that you wouldn’t want a script to run on all three is if you want specific functionality on one set of pages that you wouldn’t want on another set of pages. For example, AdWords conversion tracking tags are conventionally added to your site’s confirmation page(s). You would not want to include this code on your main landing page, as it would cause the AdWords conversion tracking tag to fire any time someone landed on any of your main pages, giving you a very skewed set of conversion data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@leah.ann I couldn’t have said it better myself!

@Scott_Bowen We’ve also got a whole whack of documentation on Google Analytics (👉 here ), give that a look and let me know if you’ve got any questions ☺

Thanks, @Jess and @leah.ann!
That documentation answered my questions about tracking conversions. Would I be able to do something similar with Adroll for tracking retargeting conversions?