What's Unbounce doing about the GDPR?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
  • Former Community Manager @ Unbounce
  • 831 replies

Hey everyone!

A hot topic lately has been around the GDPR, and understandably as it will have a major impact on Unbounce and our customers. So we’re doing everything we can to keep you all up to speed on our efforts around the topic.

We have a landing page that briefly outlines Unbounce’s efforts in moving towards full GDPR compliance. I can whittle down some of the key points to save you a few mouse clicks…

Unbounce takes data privacy very seriously, and we view the GDPR as an opportunity to enhance our commitment to data protection for the benefit our customers.

Right now (and I mean right now) we’re completing a comprehensive audit of the GDPR’s requirements and identifying where we need to make modifications to our platform, contracts, and documentation. Once that process is complete, we’ll be pushing forward into the next steps to become fully compliant.

At this point, there isn’t a whole lot more detail I can provide, as our compliance efforts are ongoing. I can assure you that this is priority zero (meaning it’s most urgent on our product roadmap), and any updates on this initiative will be published on that landing page link that I shared, as well as here in the Community.

We’ll be keeping you (our stakeholders, customers, and partners) updated as we take steps to become GDPR-compliant. You’ll be hearing more from us soon, so sit tight!

Additional note: Nothing here in the Community constitutes legal advice. We’re just keeping information above board. 🙂

Hopefully this clarifies a few things for you. Feel free to reach out at any time either directly or in this thread. I’m happy to chat and loop in some of the Unbounce team! 😃

18 replies

what is GDRP and how does this relate to us customers using landing pages ?

Does this affect users in the USA?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey Sam!

I can try to sum it up for you as best I can, but it might be more helpful for you to look over the landing page for a more in-depth explanation.

On May 25, 2018, a new data privacy law called the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will come into force, impacting how businesses collect and process data from individuals who live in the European Union (EU).

The GDPR applies to all companies that control and process EU data, regardless of their physical location (this is why Unbounce has made this such a high priority).

It gives people who are based in the EU greater privacy rights—and means that there will be new rules to follow when it comes to collecting, tracking, or handling EU-based prospects’ and customers’ personal data.

Consent for providing personal data must be given in an easily understandable way, and it must be as easy for people to withdraw consent as it is to give it. Organizations that violate the GDPR can be fined up to 4% of their annual global turnover or €20 million (whichever is greater).

Under the GDPR, people are entitled to have their personal data erased if they withdraw consent, or if their data is no longer relevant to the original purposes for which it was collected.

Make sure to read over the landing page when you get a chance, as it’s jam-packed with more information that might be useful to you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The GDPR applies to all companies that control and process EU data, regardless of their physical location. So there’s a chance that this will apply to users in the USA, but I would have a look at the landing page for further explanation on that.

Thank you!

so basically irrelevant to me in the states?

For anyone outside of EU as long as you don’t do business with the Europeans

@Jess: The landing page is beautiful. Tell me it was all built in Unbounce with no external tools/scripts and I’ll be a super happy camper.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

😂 I’m so happy to say YES it was built in Unbounce, I can loop in the designer behind it in a separate post if you’d like?

Absolutely! Would also love a template of it … because why not? 😉

Hi Mark,

I am the designer of the GDPR landing page. Thanks for appreciating the design! I am very flattered. 🙂

I built the page from scratch, and I had a sketch mockup of the landing page first, and then export all the elements separately to add to the landing page. I did a few hacks here and there with CSS to make sure that the backgrounds work responsively and have multiple layers for the gradients.

For scripts I just did some smooth scrolling for anchor links but that is not necessary for the layout design.

That’s basically my process. Hope this helps?

Hi Sabrina, thanks for sharing it. I follow the same process, but I create the wireframe on Unbounce, based on the text and images/video that I choose to use.

What do you mean with “and then export all the elements separately to add to the landing page”? Do you use to sketch mockup in some other software?

Is there a way to import skatched elements in Unbounce?

Thanks!

Hey Rosario,

Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation.

What I meant by that is just simply exporting the elements from sketch with their export function (exporting as JPG / PNG) and then importing the images onto the Unbounce Gallery. I just mainly use the Sketch application.

We don’t have direct import integration with Sketch at the moment.

Sorry for the confusion. 🙂

– Sabrina

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hey @Jess I’m currently in the process to trying to get all our pages/emails lists etc GDPR compliant (even though I’m in Australia, we do have some clients/traffic in Europe).

I understand that Unbounce will be updating the backend side of things to be compliant, but I’m wondering if there is going to be any changes to the form functionality e.g. standard privacy link or check boxes on all forms?

Just asking as I’ve been working through how to best manage it and so far have added link to our privacy page below the CTA, plus on some forms a checkbox for the user to opt-in to a monthly newsletter if they wish.

What I’m struggling to find info or examples of is if the form says something like “Enter your details to get more info about Product A” or “Enter your details to get your free eBook emailed to you” – does that require explicit consent as well for the main purpose of the form e.g. a checkbox?

Just wondering if you’ve found any good resources (that are not written in legalese!) on the frontend side of this?

p.s. this has been an excellent opportunity to clean up data in my email list – omg what a mess from 5 years ago! 😫

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey Zoe! These are great questions. I’m going to loop in a couple of the members of the team that are working on GDPR compliance here as they’ll have more insight into that.

@slm150, @Arnaud, and @Bethany are good people to know when it comes to GDPR and Unbounce and can speak to your questions.

In the meantime, I’m going to hunt down some articles (not written in legalese 😂 ). I scrolled passed one yesterday but I didn’t save it so now I’ll do some digging. Hang tight!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Thank you! I just want to make sure I’m doing it the right way, and can’t seem to find a clear answer anywhere or a step-by-step process.

Hello Zoe,

These are indeed tricky questions.
We don’t currently have plans to change the way forms are built within Unbounce. We strongly believe that Unbounce content can be built in a way that provides all necessary information to your visitors, ensuring the data that you collect and process within the Unbounce platform is compliant with the GDPR.

To help you figure out what’s needed in your particular situation, some useful resources could be:

I unfortunately cannot provide a more definitive answer, but I hope you find these pointers useful!

Badge

Hi,

Is there any update on the GDPR and additional functionality from Unbounce?

Thanks,
Dinesh