Solved

What is Unbounce doing to be compliant with new EU GDPR laws?

• 15 December 2017
  • 8 replies

Hi. I want to direct you, Unbounce people, to this link: https://www.eugdpr.org/
In may 2018 EU is rasing the bar hugely on requirements to handle sensitive data and collect permissions etc for what ever you do with leads.
I can point my finger at a number of concerns, that makes Unbounce non-compliant for us to use. Examples:

• Data in leadforms are collected and stored in a way that we can’t control. We can’t avoid the data to be stored even if we pass the on through integrations like webhook. And we can’t handle or delete inviduals data if they - as they are entitled to - ask for their data to be shown to them or deleted.
  • In Google Analytics we see the same data from forms showing in links. They are query-parameters and not hidden as post-parameters
  • Data are stored in US and we can’t ask for data to be stored in e.g. Ireland. I don’t know if this still is needed, but at least we are required to process-map what happens with all data and to get them indidually deleted or changed.
  • I guess the list will be long…

So, what is Unbounce doing currently to become compliant for all EU customers.
Best regards
Lars, Denmark

icon

Best answer by Jess 16 September 2019, 18:29

View original

8 replies

Some good commentary. We’re going through a GDPR compliance process and tools like Unbounce have been flagged as possible non-compliance issues, so any detail on these points and more would be helpful, in case we’re asked to change ‘lead form’ providers to remain ‘compliant’.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Thanks for asking Boost_company as i share the concern too and i don’t want to use another tool !

I too am concerned that we won’t be able to continue to use Unbounce once GDPR comes in.
Did anyone get a reply from Unbounce?

Hi @Boost_Company!

I am not an Unbounce employee and I cannot answer all of your questions (this is starting out like a great reply I know but trust me it gets better) BUT I can tell you not to worry.

GDPR is on everyone’s mind for companies in the EU and outside the EU. Trust me, Unbounce is one of those companies I can tell you that with 100% certainty. I cannot reveal how I know this (I’m under an NDA) but I can tell you that Unbounce takes GDPR seriously.

As far as the comment about query params showing up in GA this is nothing new. And it is not unique to Unbounce. I exclude query parameters using some custom javascript in GTM or directly in GA. It depends on the site and the application.

Others from Unbounce will post more on this topic as plans get formalized and solutions put into place. Unbounce is an incredible tool, and I know they want all users, across the globe, to continue to enjoy the platform. GDPR is scary, but it is something that everyone has to deal with. I know Unbounce will come through for it’s EU customers!

I hope that helps.

Joe

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Boost_Company! I’m really glad you brought this up, as this is top-of-mind for a lot of us Unbounce people. 😀

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you, I was out of the office for a few days. @Joe_Savitch covered a lot of points (thanks, Joe!) so I’ll do my best to provide a bit more information here.

We have a landing page that briefly outlines Unbounce’s efforts in moving towards full GDPR compliance. I can whittle down some of the key points to save you a few mouse clicks…

Unbounce takes data privacy very seriously, and we view the GDPR as an opportunity to enhance our commitment to data protection for the benefit our customers.

Right now (and I mean right now) we’re completing a comprehensive audit of the GDPR’s requirements and identifying where we need to make modifications to our platform, contracts, and documentation. Once that process is complete, we’ll be pushing forward into the next steps to become fully compliant.

At this point, there isn’t a whole lot more detail I can provide, as our compliance efforts are ongoing. I can assure you that this is priority zero (meaning it’s most urgent on our product roadmap), and any updates on this initiative will be published on that landing page link that I shared, as well as here in the Community.

Hopefully this clarifies a few things for you. Feel free to reach out at any time either directly or in this thread. I’m happy to chat! 😃

Thanks for your heads up, Joe, before the next answer from Jess.
Lars

Thankyou very much, Jess.
This sounds promissing and satisfying - I look very much forward to the updates coming in. And to your final solutions.
As an agency we already get the questions from our customers, so as soon as you know any directions for what you will provide, please let us all know. This can save us all from adding mitigating interim solutions to keep our customers calm.
Best regards
Lars

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Just wanting to close the loop on this thread, since Unbounce is fully GDPR compliant 🎉 (and has been for a while now) we have an FAQ page set up that dives into greater detail.