What is a good audience size for FB/Instagram ads? Does anyone have an answer?

• 5 January 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi,

When starting out my Facebook campaigns I am often confused about what is a good audience size? Facebook seems to say that the audience is defined when there are 5 million people in the audience and also when there are 500K people in the audience.

I have often seen better results after reducing the size of my audience but then the problem of scalability comes up.

So can anyone here help me understand what a good audience size is to test out different audience assumptions ?

3 replies

This is good question!

I’m not sure if there is a standard, because it depends on so many things. I once had a senior teammate (years more experience and knowledge than myself) tell me that there needs to be at least 1 million in the estimated audience size for an effective campaign. Then when scaling is a priority, there should be at least 10 million estimated.

It would great to hear what Facebook says about this. Anyone in the community have some connections? 😁

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hello @Shaurya_Kanoria,

I just had a look at our account and here a few examples:
one has a 3,6M audience, one has 19,5M people one has 4,7 M, one has 22M, etc.

I guess it depends on your country (we are in France which has a population of 60M) and your targeting.

I just know that for B2C campaign we are not trying anymore to target a specific personna. We set up a big audience and we let the algorythm from facebook do the job. The drawback is that it will take a few days and budget for it to find what you are looking for. The added value is that when it’s done, you usually have more audience at your disposal.

Hey! Figuring out the sweet spot for audience size can be tricky. Personally, I found success in the 500K to 1M range for testing. You can get them at SMM World. It allows for specificity without sacrificing reach. Experiment, analyze, and adjust – you'll find what works best for your campaigns!