Using Unbounce's A/B Testing while NOT actually using their standard form

• 21 February 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi Everyone

We use an app called Leadformly to get a simple step-by-step webform into our unbounce pages; so we totally bypass the usual unbounce features that are ‘pegged’ to using their internal webforms. For example we can’t see conversions in the Unbounce UI because they are happening inside the Leadformly form that we embed via the ‘custom HTML’ widget.

We are testing phone verification now inside one of the Leadformly forms and so we have set up variants in unbounce - effectively an A/B test. But because no conversions are recorded on our pages we have no way of seeing on which variant the conversion took place. The “Lead Source URL” that is passed to our CRM is always the same, because that’s how Unbounce conducts it’s A/B tests: by splitting traffic to the same URL.

Can anyone think of a way to pass a variable or something through to the CRM to give us an indication of what page variant the lead came from?

The Leadformly form does direct to the standard unbounce form confirmation dialogue which we direct it via those pages direct URL: page.com/a-form_confirmation.html and so in order to have that form confirmation page available at all we have a standard unbounce form hidden on the page with css.

Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks,
Ben

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi Ben,

Are you using the same Leadformly form embed on all of your variants, or is it a different Leadformly form for each variant?

Hi Nicholas
It’s the same leadformly form but with phone call verification code added to one variant - but yes its the same actual Leadformly form.

Ben

A simpler way to ask this question?

Is there any way to have the variant letter show up in the lead source URL that is sent to the CRM via Zapier?
ie. mydomain.com/landing-page/b.html

Yes - i think so!

if you look at the souce code of one the the UB pages you can see something like this:

window.ub.page.id = "67224xxx";
window.ub.page.variantId = "j";
window.ub.page.usedAs = "main";
window.ub.page.name = "xxx";
window.ub.page.url = "https:/xxxxx";
window.ub.page.dimensions = {"desktop":{"height":4862,"width":1250},"mobile":{"height":8169,"width":320}};

I know we use a script to pick up this info and insert into tracking pixels - i would imagine it’s possible to pass the info to your form…

Unfortunately - i don’t know more than that - other than a dev could probably do it fairly easily.

Thanks Alex that’s a good tip. We’ll give that a try.