Tracking Organic & Direct Traffic from a form submission

• 21 December 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi there,

I have a form created on Unbounce and have integrated an email which should receive details including name, email, company and type of inquiry from each form submission. I am also looking to receive details on traffic source and I understand you can set up UTM parameters to view Google / Facebook ads as a traffic source but I would also like to inquire if there is a code or another option that will identify whether it was direct or organic traffic once the form is submitted as well.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations. Thanks!

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @Sim,

Google Analytics is how you tell whether a lead came organically or it was part of a paid campaign.

Otherwise, you would have to rebuild a whole analytics suite for your landing page.
(This is the short answer and there is a more technical one but the idea is that you can save yourself a lot of headaches if you utilize the tools that you are probably already using)

Last but not least, if you are already using UTM parameters you can record those along with your other form data. If a lead has entries for UTM parameters than in 99.99% of the cases it would have come from a paid campaign.

Best,
Hristian

Hey @Hristian

Thank you for connecting! I see and there is no direct way to receive a notification of direct or organic traffic source via email, alongside the name, email, company and type of inquiry on the form submission?

Hey @Hristian

Thank you for connecting! I see and there is no direct way to receive a notification of direct or organic traffic source via email, alongside the name, email, company and type of inquiry on the form submission?

I was speaking with an Unbounce rep and they have mentioned to connect with the forum for dev support , in specific, implementing a tool that could pick up on this source in some other way and then reload the page with that parameter. Overall, I would like to inquire if there would be that any tool or code will need to pick up on possible referral sources, reload the page with that source in a URL parameter in order to prefill a hidden field.

Hi @Sim - In general it’s bad practice to “reload” the page once the user is on it, and it’s not really necessary if you setup your form to capture the UTM parameters.

1. If you integrate your page with Google Analytics & FB pixel the form submission will be tracked along with all traffic / data parameters.
  2. Notifications can be sent to yourself using zapier or integromat for each form submission.

The question is more - do you need the referral sources to be sent to your email service provider or you simply want to see them in Google Analytics / Facebook pixel?

Hi @laurent,

I believe having notifications of email, name, company, type of inquiry and traffic source sent to a specific email using Zapier would be the best option. If you have any recommendations on steps I will need to take, that would be great! Thank you!

If you use mailchimp, you should have email notifications sent to you for new subscribers.
most email platforms have the same functionality.
in unbounce, you can add a zapier webhook or use unbounce trigger to get the notifications.
nothing special to recommend here, as it’s straight forward, no?