Tracking Form Submissions with GTM

Interesting - I haven’t spent too much time on it since I’m counting on Unbounce to fix it. I’ve been busy working on other things for the time being, so I haven’t been able to do more testing. Did you submit that info also to Unbounce? I’m hoping they give me an update soon after I opened a ticket yesterday.

I submitted a ticket this morning, but haven’t gotten anything other than the automated “your ticket has been received”

I managed this setup. Custom gm.gform.submit tag works properly with the popup but only after I have activated built-in form submission variable.

it works but if only built-in GTM variable “form submission” is active.

Interesting, if that’s the case then it’s a little different now. The built-in variable picks up on any form submissions whereas the other event was specifically sent from Unbounce. That’s good it works though and maybe that’s what Unbounce is hoping we use now instead?

After testing, this works for me as well. It is the “gtm.formSubmit” event that unbounce used to manually submit. This seems like the correct answer, perhaps Unbounce docs need some updates for this? I never received an update either after my support request :frowning:

Oh, I forgot to update. GTM works fine if you load it yourself and not via Unbounce’s integration. I loaded it via segment.io (the whole reason I was using GTM was because the GoogleAds conversion script wasn’t working with segment, but did work with GTM). I also realized it was dumb to use two tag managers, so I just included the Google Ads conversion script on all of my pages individaually. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Curious if you do hear back from Unbounce!

I have a form I am trying to arrange a tag for, but I’m also no GTM professional. Got regular buttons to track, but my form submission is firing 3 tags for each submit. Hmm…

Have you noticed that the form submission event fires even on form submission attempts (i.e. - user clicking the submit button)? I even have my form submission trigger setup in GTM to “Check Validation”, however, it still seems to fire even when the use does not actually successfully submit the form.

Hey Guys, Love this thread I am having a similar issue and a little stuck.
I have the same tag set up as you mentioned ParaCoreMarc in the original set up:
Tag: Google Ad conversion Tracking
Trigger: Custom event with gtm.formsubmit

My tag is firing before the form is being submitted. Is this due to the issue you are talking about above. I noticed you guys fixed it but I couldn’t follow what fix you used.

Help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I’m following this also. I have project that’s about to go live and ideally I could do with this being resolved if it’s not. Thanks!

If you’re getting rogue or duplicate form submissions, you could be firing a form submit trigger from Facebook’s tracking pixel (if you have it installed). I use the Google Chrome extension, dataslayer, to look at what’s been fired after the page is refreshed. It lets you look back in time. Check your gtm.formSubmit events and see if they are actually from gtm.elementUrl=https://www.facebook.com/tr/ instead of your form button.

I just read this thread and I’m trying to understand how to track my form submissions with GTM as well. I have the container manually installed (not thru unbounce integration) and seeing if there’s a way to get it to work that way.

Jannette

Note to anyone new to this thread. These instructions are a little out of date.

Make sure you use the pre-built “Form Submission” action rather than the “Custom Event” outlined above. Unbounce will only fire a Form Submit event if you use the Form Submission trigger.

Unbounce now has an official post regarding this.

Where can we find it?

I had quoted the thread in my post above, click on the title “GTM Form Submission Trigger Update”

I just wanted to pop into this thread to say thanks to everyone, especially @ParaCoreMarc for all of the info. After a decent amount of troubleshooting, I finally got this live.

Someone else mentioned the Chrome extension Dataslayer, which was really useful for checking that the gtm.formsubmit tag fired before my page redirected to my final destination.

1 Like

I’ve got this working on one of my landing pages, but I’m wondering how personally go about setting this up across multiple Unbounce pages.

For Facebook and Google Ads conversion tracking, do you create a new GTM Tag and Trigger for each different Unbounce form/page that your company uses, or do you just make one generic conversion tag for each (FB & Google) and fire that tag whenever any of your Unbounce forms is submitted?

If you’re doing the latter, how do you distinguish between what form someone converted on in each ad platform?

This was happening to me as well. If you have gtm.formSubmit firing on page load (before the form is submitted), then it is likely because it is being fired by the Facebook pixel. This article has a good explanation of why that happens and how to stop it from firing the tags you want. https://www.analyticsmania.com/post/why-is-there-a-gtm-formsubmit-event-on-every-page-view/#gref