Track actions taken in a Popup as a goal completion on the Page

Q: What feature / functionality are you looking for?
A: The ability to add popups to a landing page and track actions taken in the popup as a goal completion on the page.

Q: What problem are you trying to solve?
A: When attempting to minimize page abandonment using an exit-intent popup, I would like conversions that take place in the popup to be tracked as a page conversion so I don’t have to juggle 2 sets of metrics (one for the page and one for the popup).

Q: If solved, what value would this provide (ex. increased efficiency, cost savings, etc.)?
A: Increased efficiency and accuracy of metrics

Q: Use Case example? (ex. As a ____ I want to be able to _____ so I can _____.)
A: As a marketer, I want to be able to track actions in a popup on my landing pages along with actions taken on the page itself so I can get an accurate measurement of the success of the page as a whole.

Q: Is this being solved by another workaround or any other tool today?
A: I’ll most likely be using Optinmonster for the popup and manually calculating conversion rate based on both landing page conversions and popup conversions.

Hi @ShaneDenham, and welcome to the community :slightly_smiling_face:

I trust you are using Google Analytics to track both traffic and conversions for your Unbounce landing pages? If not you should definitely start doing so. My below input takes for granted that you use Unbounce both for the landing page and popup.

What I do is that I define a unique goal in GA for conversion on the popup, and I keep another one for conversion on the landing page itself. I see a huge benefit in having separate goals for each.

If you use the built-in GA integration in Unbounce a conversion on a popup will fire to GA with the following event

Category=Unbounce Convertable
Action=conversion

See my example below.

For the popup you need to turn on GA integration and set a label for your events. As you see my event matches what I defined in my goal above.

When this is set up you can track the number of conversions and conversion rate on your page for the popup.

Hope this helps!

1 Like