Tool Roundup: Annotating and Commenting on Unbounce Pages

ux
tools
design

Hey all,

You probably know how important it is to get feedback on your landing page drafts, from clients, co-workers, partners, etc. But it’s not always easy to leave feedback or to read it. But if you’ve ever received paragraph after paragraph of feedback with no clear way of knowing exactly which request goes where, then you know this can be pretty frustrating.

There’s got to be a better way! And there is. I’ve been searching for the best solution for leaving comments on a landing page draft, and this is the workflow that works best for our team. I wanted to share it with you in case you find it useful.

1. You’ll need a good screenshot tool that works with your browser of choice. For us, it’s Full Page Screen Capture, a free Chrome extention.

unnamed

1. After we build a page draft in Unbounce, we push it live to a temporary URL, being careful to check the box that “hides this page from search engines.”

44 AM

1. Then, go to the temporary page URL and grab a full page screen capture using the extension mentioned above.

2. From there, we simply download the screen capture as a PNG, and drop it into one of the annotation tools listed below. All of them have their pros and cons. Some are more full-featured, while others are super simple.

The one I like best at the moment is DesignDrop. It’s extremely easy-to-use and therefore easy for clients to use as well. But explore all of them to see which one you like best. Most of them offer a free plan or at least a free trial. And of course, there are many more that I have not listed.

DISCLAIMER: I’m not affiliated with any of the tools mentioned in this post. Just trying to share some helpful resources. :slight_smile:

DesignDrop - Very simple, easy to use just for commenting on landing pages
Notism - A bit more full-featured, but it can be slightly more confusing if using it with clients
Red Pen - Very clean interface, similar to DesignDrop, but not sure if it’s still being actively updated
UXPin - The most robust UX design platform around, but probably more than most of us need
InVision - Probably the most well-known tool in this space, but again, it might be more than you need if you just need an annotation tool

Of course, there are many other ways to go about this. You can make your own screenshots with something like CloudApp or even Evernote. I’m just sharing the workflow that works for us.

I’d love to hear how you handle feedback requests and annotations for your landing page projects! And if you have any other cool tools in this space that you want to share, please do.

Hey @Nicholas!
Great reccos, I definitely need to look into the first three you listed there! I’ve only ever used Invision in that list.

I just use Realtimeboard or Skitch (for Mac) or I really love Zeplin for annotating my notes to send over to my engineering team and they’re able to see the CSS of my Sketch file.

Cheers,
Denise