Timed Registrations

• 28 November 2020
  • 12 replies

Does anyone have experience with forced registrations for lead generation?

I’d like to force a registration after about 3 seconds of site browsing.

Thanks

12 replies

Badge +3

Hey @Richard_McDonald -

You could definitely use an Unbounce popup to make that happen. Typically, we’d go with a popup over a page with the same offer, and the resulting content on a confirmation page. Gives another opportunity to “sell” what you’re offering, and creates a friendlier UX.

Adam,

Does the consumer have to register? Or can they close out that option and continue browsing?

Badge +3

They’d be able to close the popup. However, it’s subtle enough that we typically see folks fill it out. The most bullet-proof scenario is to use the popup to “prompt” the user to fill out the form on a landing page that gates the relevant content anyway. Then use a confirmation page that gives them what they want. They wouldn’t be able to see what you want to hide without entering some info.

Unfortunately, that won’t work. Is there any way to do a forced registration?

Hey, you can hide the popup close element with CSS:

.ub-emb-close { display:none; }

If you hide that element then I think the popup wont close until they fill out the form. Here is a custom JS on how to close the popup after form submit.

Havent try this, but sounds interesting!

That’s exactly what I need. Would that code be applied to the style section of the pop up?

Ummm I just tried <style>.ub-emb-close { display:none; } </style> and it didnt work…

Try this and see if it works.

It seems you have to paste the code in the popup AND the page. I will play more with it and if I have luck I will let you know.

Naah it didnt work.

I was able to hide the close button but if you click outside the popup it will close.

Also, I have the settings to show on every visit, but after several tests I notice that it doesnt show on every visit. Better use another service…

I think going the route of what Adam suggested is the easiest.

With some quick graphic design, you could create the appearance of gated content as you scroll. Include a section on the page like the example below (full screen image of blurred content) and add your form or button to “register for more” in the white space.

Then after form submit, redirect to the page that has the full content.

Badge +3

We’ve done this before at Altitude. It’s effective from a CRO standpoint, and – maybe more important – bomb-proof on the technical side. Nothing to break = nothing will break.

This won’t work. The consumers are too smart. They’ll find a way around the registration.

Badge +3

I think what @Kyle.Carline is saying is to absolutely force the issue. Use a form on the page that redirects to another page with the content itself. That second page – you can use whatever random URL you want so it can’t be guessed – would be noindexed, and would be the only place that content exists.

Beyond that, you’re getting into role-based permissions, which aren’t really part of the Unbounce ecosystem. Certainly possible, but much more involved – almost akin to eCommerce.