This is why you split test! 📈 🥂

So i was just looking at a site showcasing some impressive conversion stats achieved through Unbounce.

It got me thinking - I think we’ve got one doing slightly better :wink:

So i had a look and yes:

This is a 14 field form! 12 months ago it was on around 10% conversion, but split test after split test this is where it is now (still the same form fields captured and same basic offer) - it has done allot more leads at that conv rate however stats were re-set for the latest test 10 days ago.

We’re onto variant ‘ag’ so the 33rd variant now.

Testament to why Unbounce is so valuable to marketers and what can be achieved (well maybe theres a long way for the page to go? - who knows where the limit is!).

Love this! Thank you so much for sharing and reminding us the importance of testing. Are you running convertables on this page? Would love to learn more!

Hi Stefano,

No not yet - convertibles are on the list for testing on this page :frowning:

The biggest gains came from shifting the form around. This is now a 4 step form (within one page - the stats for for the complete form, NOT just the first step!).

Other than that - small gains all over the place - form heading and button text got some good gains.

Making one of the bulleted USPs bold gave good uplift - lots of details throughout the page.

Wow! Those are some good results!!

I see you have tested a “4 Page Monster”. With 14 fields, I can’t imagine you’d be showing all of them in one step.

How are you doing multiple page forms?

In the past, Unbounce only tracks external conversions 2 pages deep. When a funnel is 3+ pages, you can’t track conversions easily. I would have to rely on 3rd party testing tools. Unless this glitch has been changed.

I’d love to test some longer form funnels, but this glitch with Unbounce is preventing me.

If I can jump in quickly and just say that Alex and his team have gotten the traffic acquisition down to a science.

What’s not seen from this screenshot is the impressive data tracking underneath it all.

I can confidently say that their analytics is far and above what I’ve seen with some of my Fortune 100 clients.
On numerous occasions I’ve seen poorly implemented analytics infrastructure that easily costs hundreds of thousands of dollars and at the same time doesn’t give you much insight into your web properties.

So to sum it up, it’s really important to test but also have the proper tracking in place. These two go hand-in-hand.

@Phillip It’s a multi-step form and NOT a multi-page form. Therefore the tracking works as expected since the visitor never leaves the page.
If I may, it’s also a pretty complicated multi-step form. Constantly pushing the limits of Unbounce and going beyond what seems possible.

This wasn’t as quick as I thought :slight_smile: But just wanted to share my 2c.
If you are looking for a great partner in traffic acquisition and A/B testing Alex and the team at Digital Oyster would be my one and only call.

Best,
Hristian

Hi Phillip, yes as hristian says it’s a 4step page within one page (hristian is your man for making this happen!).

We do use third party tracking - a proprietary setup.

You can however work it out however with unbounce and 4 steps across 4 pages - get your visitor numbers from page 1 and your conversion numbers from page 4 (bit of a pain, but doable)

@Alex_Scovell and @Hristian - Are you using JavaScript, like in the following post, for your multi-page form?

I have been thinking about some tests around this. But I have been fearful of these kinds of hacks with error notifications and other usability issues.

I just wanted to chime in and say that I love everything about this thread.

Marketers can sometimes default to the details of the offer - or blame the traffic source when they see low conversion rates… but sometimes it’s simply how the offer is communicated. This part of the equation is completely in our own courts, but whether or not we take the time to test / optimize is the question. That’s why it doesn’t surprise me to see CRO big-wigs like @Phillip and @Stefano chiming in on this topic.

The offer and traffic source didn’t change here, but through dedicated testing and analytics you were able to triple your conversion rates. That’s really, really impressive - so big props to @Hristian at Revise.cc and @Alex_Scovell at Digital Oyster. :chart_with_upwards_trend: :clinking_glasses:

:pushpin: P.S. I’m pinning this to the top of the Communtiy. I’d love to see more conversations like this!

@Phillip yes and no - it is a bespoke js ‘hack’, built by Hristian, making it work (the form) - it’s not that one (the one you linked too) although we did use that one and got an uplift on one of our other pages.

But - the difference in conversion rate between the 4 step 1 page and the ‘4 page monster’, which preceded it (which was 4 steps - 4 pages - one passes form fields to the next in url), - was negligible.

the current one (4 steps one page) is more slick and easier to work with - 1 page instead of 4 to manage, however the results can be achieved the ‘old fashioned’ way so to speak.

Great results! Any chance you can share your primary traffic sources? Search? Social? Email? Do you see any variance in conversion rate between sources?

Hi Andrew, it’s purely native display traffic driven to the site. It’s driven to an advertorial which then links to this landing page.

We only drive native to the page so I can’t compare between channels.

I’ve been doing marketing and digital marketing for around 15 years or so - the original page wasn’t bad by any means.

i think in CRO there can be a tendency to think you’ve hit the limit- it can’t get higher than that. In actual fact it can go allot higher.

Come back a week or two later and spend some serious time analysing and testing and you get another significant improvement.

Just the other week we saw a 25% uplift on the advertorial which sits in front of the landing page we are discussing. That’s a very optimised page - I would have bet allot of money on that not being possible.

Likewise 7 months ago it would have been completely inconceivable that this LPcould get anywhere near where it is now.

Whats an advertorial? A blog post?

I assume this is some sort of B2C page where the target demographic is really broad (given the volumes and CR)?

Split testing much tougher when you’re dealing with niche campaigns and that only receive several hundred or so searches a month (if talking paid search), let alone visitors to your page. Add to that a technical background and a host of other challenging traits as often seen in a B2B environment and it just keeps getting more challenging.

That said, really refreshing to hear someone have the candor to say what changes/aspects provided the biggest yields and uplift. We tend to look at form placement on the page, and value proposition - and have to go with gut feelings as it can be hard to accumulate enough data for convincing arguments either way.

The other thing I think worth mentioning is that too many marketers get hung up on the number of conversions - when really what generates your return and keeps the bread on the table is the quality of those conversions - and I think the biggest challenge any campaign/page faces is finding that balance between quantity and quality.

Thank you for sharing this @Alex_Scovell - and great work!

:+1:

@Mark_H This is an advertorial (not ours): https://new.thefinanceadvocate.co.uk/m-uclaim-taboola/

@Revved Completely agree - and yes this is a mass market product - much harder to get analysis with small numbers.

And also agree on quality of leads also - it’s an ongoing battle to get both ends up - conversion from click and also conversion from lead (to sale).

The campaign these stats are for we have data coming back from the client - so are optimising both sides. We did have it well above 40% at one point, but reeled it back as it became detrimental to conversion from lead.