The Results Are In: So, You Think You Can Convert?

Well folks, the results are in! And they may not be what you expected!

Back in August we launched our second round of So, You Think You Can Convert here in the community where two Community Leaders went head-to-head to see who could build the variant that converts the highest for one lucky member of this community.

For those that don’t know, our Community Leaders are a group of highly skilled digital marketers and developers who create 10x, leak-proof, funnel-popping, business changing landing pages with Unbounce – and love to help other customers along the way.

We collected your landing page links, and selected one lucky winner, @Vis!

After a kick-off call with @Vis and his team, @Jonathan and @Kyle.Carline were able to ask some clarifying questions, and we opened a Slack channel to make it easier for us to communicate on the fly. After getting approval from the Moona team, Jonathan and Kyle’s variants were launched!

… But then something occurred to me.

So, how do we select a WINNER? Spoiler alert: it’s complicated!

Jonathan and Kyle built these variants and turned Smart Traffic on with the expectation that there will be a “winner”, but the whole concept of Smart Traffic is that there is no “winning” variant! Smart Traffic sends traffic to the variant where they’re more likely to convert, based on multiple variants (because your landing page visitors are unique!), making each variant a winner based on the unique attributes of your audience. However, if we’re determining who built the variant that converted the highest, the prize goes to @Jonathan ! :1st_place_medal:

That said, between Jonathan and Kyle’s marketing expertise and machine learning provided by Smart Traffic, we found some very interesting insights!

Here’s how our Community Leaders approached this challenge, in their own words:

I felt like I was joining this competition as the underdog, less than 5% of my clients are ecommerce. I’m a freelancer competing with the president of an agency. So I knew I had to use everything I have learned to accomplish two important things. First, I need to make sure the client gets the best value from my work. The second is to beat Jonathan and get more conversions!

After the initial meeting with the MOONA team, it stood out to me that education was the major hurdle that most prospective customers needed to overcome. I needed to convince the users that this product is well-worth their effort, money, and will actually solve their problem. All of this needs to take place before they see the price.

The MOONA team has so many articles and assets ready to use. I immediately knew that I wanted to use some of the article content in the landing page. There were some hidden gems that I don’t think are being used to their fullest extent. I designed my preferred article content as a .PDF using Canva, and added it as a perk on the landing page.

Then it occurred to me that I wanted this PDF to be the only thing offered on the landing page. Nevermind the product, I was completely switching strategies mid-competition and wanted to highlight the free perk to attract conversions. I went from a sleek ecom page with tons of classy sections, to a 2 section eBook page. But I had a trick up my sleeve.

The “ebook perk” I designed will immediately solve some of the issues their audience has, it also has its own call-to-action to get them to the product page. The added value for the client is that the users will get added to their email list. So if the user wasn’t convinced from the ebook, and they didn’t click the CTA to the product page. The MOONA team has a stellar email campaign to further convince the user that their product is worth trying.

I expected to have far more conversions because the offer is simple and honest. Get tips on how to sleep better tonight, all in exchange for an email address. I anticipated that my lead-gen variant will have more conversions and less immediate sales. While Jonathan’s variant will have less conversions but more immediate sales.

Much to my surprise, the conversions of both variant types are nearly even…

I have to say, taking on this challenge, I knew I had to walk the talk. By “walk the talk”, I’m referring to the countless times I told our customers what worked in a design and what didn’t, without being a designer myself. Even worse, I’m referring to all the times I gave our own (amazing) designers tips about their LP designs - I feel bad just thinking about it!

Not to mention that going up against Kyle, a seasoned freelancer, was slightly intimidating.

First steps:

In my experience, the single most important step before putting pen to paper is to run a rigorous Q&A call with the client. On this call I come prepared with questions and I make sure to take detailed notes. I want to know who the target audience is (on the ad level), I want to see what their ads look like, and I want to hear from the client themselves what makes their product so special.

Hero:

Looking at the client’s existing landing page, the first thing that jumped out was the hero section. It felt crowded and jam packed with information. Something had to be done about that since most users will decide right then and there whether they’ll leave the page or stay.

• The leading headline was “Get rid of night sweats” but some users might not have related to that messaging. It’s also probably best to avoid the word “sweat”. Instead, “Sleep better with Moona” was more focused on problem-solving. Making sure the font was larger and making “better” stand out also helped drive focus to that statement.

• The support copy in the hero was very wordy and contained information that didn’t feel relevant for most users. For example “Keeps temp down to 64°F as long as you want” doesn’t mean much. Is that good? What about my “body’s natural thermoregulation mechanism”? Instead it’s best to use copy that is easy to understand without losing the goal of the original text.

• The main CTA on the client’s page felt a little too strong, I’d even go as far as to say it felt “aggressive”: GET MOONA NOW! Instead, the CTA “How does it work?” focuses on educating users. It stands to reason that almost no one would go ahead and buy the product without learning more first. When clicked, it would take the user to the section on the page that explained the product best.

Client hero:

New hero:

Sticky header:

Seeing that this was a considerably long page, adding a sticky header with the logo + call to action helped make sure the user had a way to convert throughout their scrolling.

Sections 2-3-4-5:

Instead of leading with “WHAT IS MOONA?” it’s usually best to introduce the WHY behind the device (aka the problem). The thought process is to address the WHY, followed by the HOW, then followed by the WHAT. This was the focus from section to section:

• Here’s the science behind sleep.
    This served to explain sleep science - the source of the problem - and give the product credibility;

• What’s precision cooling? Advanced technology for hot sleepers.
    This helps explain the technology in a simplified manner;

• 3 Easy Steps. How does Moona work?
    Tries to showcase how easy to use the product can be;

• What’s included. Sleep well with Moona.
    This section looks a lot like a product page in most ecomm stores - also referred to as the product section;

In that last section it was important to make sure the user knew exactly what they got for $399. This means breaking it down with both copy and an image gallery, as well as listing some of their key offers like “30 nights money-back guarantee” and “1 year limited guarantee”.

Problem Reminder:

This sections reminds the user of their potential felt problems by listing them using icons.

Main CTA:

A softer approach to “ORDER NOW”, “Try Moona risk-free for 30 nights” re-emphasizes that the purchase was in essence risk-free thanks to the 30 nights money-back guarantee.

CTA goal:

The client’s variant’s CTA brought the user to the product page on the store. That user journey feels a little long. The user would be brought to yet another page that re-explained all the same product features and benefits. Furthermore, it would give the user a chance to change their mind before taking action. The new variant needed to convince the user right there and then. At the moment the user clicked on the CTA, it would mean they are somewhat ready to make the purchase, which is why the CTA takes them straight to checkout.

Sections 6-7-8:

These sections were dedicated to social proof. The first set of “validation” to highlight was the fact that this product was tried and tested, award-winning, and patent-pending. The added icons give a bit more legitimacy to the product. The testimonials are the cherry on top and feel like a natural progression.

Section 9 - Comparison chart:

The client already had a comparison chart which is great, however it needed more visual support.

• Images: adding in images of each product allows the user to visualize what we’re referring to
  • Contrast between rows: this can help with legibility
  • Focus on MOONA: framing Moona makes it stand out as the best option
  • Call to action: great opportunity for a CTA and a potential actionto take place

Now most of you know that mobile and comparison charts don’t work very well together. The client had a smaller version of the chart on mobile, with a magnifying glass that allowed you to expand the image.

The alternative was to split the chart into 3 boxes, starting with the alternative products and ending with the best choice - Moona.

Section 10

The last section is often the most neglected, yet the most important section. It’s a great place to address any last minute concerns or any hesitations, all while making one last push for a conversion.

Still undecided? Why not sleep on it… literally?

Try Moona 100% risk-free. If within the first 30 nights you’re not satisfied, return it and we’ll issue you a full refund. It’s that simple.

Surprises:

I had some concerns about the competing variant and whether or not the test would be valid, or if Smart Traffic would function as intended. The reason behind my hesitation was that my variant’s goal was to generate clicks to checkout, whereas the competing variant’s goal was to collect names and emails. To my big surprise Smart Traffic did a phenomenal job at keeping both variants and more or less the same conversion rates throughout the entire test. To me, that was the ultimate test for Smart Traffic; it was able to discern which users would be more likely to fill out a form, and which were more likely to checkout. Both these actions were extremely valuable to the client which made for great overall campaign results.

Unbounce is really a powerful tool for me.

As being in charge of marketing an expensive and complex product, involving different layers of education, I needed a solution allowing me to easily build landing pages in order to test different marketing approaches and provide custom/tailor-made messages for my different audiences.

I was looking for some insights on how to improve my conversion rate from other users on the Unbounce Community forum when I saw that Jess was looking for applicants in the “So you think you can convert” challenge. I thought to myself “well, I really need this, let’s try maybe I’ll be lucky”. And a few days after, Jess told me that my company, Moona, has been selected!!

It was really interesting for me to work with Kyle and Jonathan who are true experts with different approaches. They both did a great job in understanding what the product was about and I liked how each of them wanted to test their own mechanic to generate conversion. Kyle went for a lead gen variant to generate emails and Jonathan for a click through variant to generate sales.

I am still surprised how well the two different approaches performed!! We used Unbounce Smart Traffic and, although the two landing pages were totally different, Smart Traffic managed to generate high conversion rates on both. They did much better than any of my previous landing pages.

I have now two landing pages made by Unbounce Community Leaders and i can’t wait to twist them a bit to see if i can improve them and beat their conversion rates ahah!

Thank you Jessica, Jonathan and Kyle. I hope we will collaborate again in the future.

And that’s a wrap! :tada:

As you can tell, creating a competitive variant was no small task. The original variant was performing steadily at a 3.5% conversion rate (the median in this industry is 3.2%) using the Standard Page Traffic mode. After Kyle and Jonathan went to work, here’s how the two variants stacked up:

So while Jonathan’s variant had a higher conversion rate, Kyle’s variant received quite a bit more traffic. At a high level, these are the main differences between Kyle and Jonathan’s variants:

• The offer. The CTA on Kyle’s variant offers a sleep guide, while Jonathan’s variant offers a 30-day trial.
  • Information. Kyle’s variant is very to-the-point and speaks to the benefits of getting a better sleep, while Jonathan’s variant is loaded with science-based information about the product, as well as testimonials and product details.
  • Social proof. Jonathan’s variant highlights the publication companies that have articles written about Moona, and customer quotes that highlight the benefits of the product.

Now it’s time to put Conversion Intelligence to work: with the insights we can infer from Kyle and Jonathan’s variants, @Vis and the team at Moona can continue creating variants to uncover more learnings about their audience. We can already infer their visitors are interested in science-backed technology, and that they are more likely to convert based on social proof. The list goes on and on, and the best way to uncover these insights is turn Smart Traffic on :bulb: and allow it to learn from your visitors.

We will be launching the next So You Think You Can Convert contest THIS WEEK, and we’re putting yet another spin on it, so keep your eyes peeled :banana: :eyes:

It was an enormous pleasure to work with such talented individuals, I am once again blown away by how our customers put their own spin on how to use Unbounce to deliver such impressive results.

Got questions? Feedback? Let’s chat in the thread below! :point_down:

Happy page building

-Jess

11 Likes

This is packed with so much knowledge!! Thank you @Jonathan and @Kyle.C for sharing your thought process in approaching this and thanks @Jess for sharing!

2 Likes

Great read !
i think it’s really valuable for Moona as they not only got two differents LP variants but two differents approaches to acquire new customer. Each approach feels right to me ! Bravo to @Jonathan and @Kyle.C !

P.S. : Do we get to see the variants ? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome job, @Jonathan & @Kyle.Carline! :clap:

3 Likes

Thanks Malik!

1 Like

@julien_level Good idea! We should def have the variants up here.

2 Likes

This was one of the coolest campaigns I have ever been a part of! It was so fun to work with @Jonathan and @Vis :smiley:

I’d also like to add that while I had expected to win. I’m not upset, in fact I am impressed by the winning variant. The sticky header is the additional element that demonstrates Jonathan’s experience in the field and it is the part the would get me to click. Well done!

Although…At least my variant got the client a bunch of leads. That’s added value :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Do we know the conversion rates for how many ended up purchasing Moona/ testing it for 30 days. Be awesome to know.

2 Likes

@Cameron_R I don’t have that information, but my hunch is that we wouldn’t have a specific number for a while anyway, as some folks will be retargeted at a later time if they didn’t purchase right away. Good question though!

-Jess

@Cameron_R I can’t speak to purchases sadly. My variant’s conversion goal was a click-through straight to checkout and had a CVR of 10.70%. The other variant’s conversion goal was name/email and had a CVR of 7.75%. The page we sources out inspiration from had a CVR of 2% with the conversion goal being a click-through to the in-store product page.

A fantastic read. We at Curiada, are new here and this is incredibly informative. Cool competition as well!

1 Like

@JoeyRobinson Glad you liked it!