Prevent submission of "free" email addresses

• 14 January 2019
  • 7 replies

Hello, we’ve recently started using Unbounce pages as landing pages for our Google Ads. We’ve found that we’re getting a great deal of bot submissions. I would like to add a CAPTCHA to our form, but that doesn’t appear to be a built in functionality of Unbounce, which I think is a shame. That said, I’d at the very least like to prevent the submission of non-work “free” email addresses such as gmail, yahoo, etc.

Does this functionality exist or will it also require additional work and a custom script?

Thanks.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there!

Have a look at this script: https://gist.github.com/markwainwright/0c600a808a6477d138b8

This thread might also prove useful 🙂

I appreciate the information. I’ll look into it. Seems unfortunate that this isn’t a feature of the system - put a large burden on the user especially when Unbounce is touted as a system that is easy to use and doesn’t require development time.

@Daniel_Lukens We’ve started using NinjaForms for this reason. It would be great if unbounce included some sort of Honeypot field as well…

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @Daniel_Lukens & @jdailey,

Although I’m not part of the Unbounce team, I can tell you that there is a lot of work being done behind the scenes to try and prevent SPAM submissions on your landing pages.

When it comes to SPAM there is no ideal solution that works 100% of the time. Every time you think, you’ve got the hang of it, nefarious parties will find a way around the walls you put up.

Google’s reCAPTCHA is one way to try and limit these SPAM submissions but having worked with it for a few years on some large accounts, it has it’s own downsides as well.
(like reCAPTCHA going down for a few ours at a time and you learning about it 2hours later and tens of thousands of $ in the whole due to traffic being sent to landing pages that are unable to submit forms)

If you are experiencing an unusually high number of SPAM submissions,please reach out to the awesome folks at Unbounce support.
They’ll be able to take a look at your accounts and possibly identify a common thread to your particular problem. In the process adjusting the SPAM filters so they catch more of these spammers.

Here is a bit old but valuable explanation of some of the things Unbounce is doing behind the scenes to stop spammers.

Best,
Hristian

The link to the script no longer appears to work. Can anyone supply the script as they’ve used it on their own forms in the thread? Thanks!

Hi Everyone

I had the same requirement for one landing page, The provided link for the code is not working so I created the attached code.
Copy the code from the below in Javascript in the head tag under unbounce.

You can write the css for the “error” class as required and do remember to replace the #lp-pom-form-125 with the form ID of your form.
Hope it helps!

Best,
Sneha

Hi Sneha,

I have been trying to use your script as is it, just replacing the form ID and I can’t get it to work. Is there something I’m missing? Maybe with the CSS part?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!