Prepopulated Forms. Better solution?

• 2 March 2017
  • 3 replies

Trying to make a long story short:

I work for a college where we regularly bombard students with emails with a solicitation to review and update their information via a prepopulated form.

As I moved to Unbounce, I figured out how to embed the form from our CRM into Slate as HTML, but don’t see that the submission of that form via the HTML can’t be counted/tracked as a conversion.

I currently have our prospective students directed to a campaign landing page with a button that directs them to a simple form landing page. Here’s a copy of that form landing page: http://go.twocolleges.com/unbouncetest/

A few things I’d like to do, if possible:

ONE: I’d like to send a percent of the audience directly to a variant of the initial landing page, which would be the form landing page. However, because I don’t believe I can track submissions in that HTML form as conversions, I won’t be able to measure that. (My concern is that a whole bunch of people are getting to that initial landing page and not taking the next step … we’d get a higher conversion rate if we just sent them to a simpler page that has the prepopulated form already present.)

TWO: For aesthetic (and, perhaps other reasons), I’d like to find a way to bring that CRM information into an Unbounce form and then export submission out, but I think this might be a bit too much to bite off. On top of everything, we need to have the high school match the high schools on our system as they then match a specific code for that high school. And, there just seems to be lots of complexities involving Unbounce, our CRM and our IT folks.

Follow any of that? Thoughts?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @TomVoller-Berdan,

First, I would advise you on getting some screen recordings of the landing page in question. Hotjar offers a free tier but there are also a number of other services that you can use.

Record some interactions with your page and see if your assumption that people are not continuing to the form page is true.

Second, it’s normal to have a huge drop-off if the form is not pre-populated. It’s a long form and generally speaking visitors won’t fill it out if they don’t have a “burning” need to do so.

Third… Have you tried including the external conversion tracking script with your form. It would allow you to push back to Unbounce conversion stats. Depending on your particular setup and where visitors are taken after form submission, it might be a possible solution. Here is a link to the official documentation and script you would need.

You would also need this Chrome extension to double-check conversions are firing correctly.

Last but not least, you can send a percentage of the traffic straight to the form page. You just need to have the form page as a variant of the main landing page. After that you can set a percentage that would be taken directly to the form.

Now onto your 2nd question:

Depending on your CRM, if it has an API you might be able to pull information out of it and display it on the landing page.
However, the above is really dependent on the CRM and would involve a fair amount of coding and testing to get it right.

Best,
Hristian

Thanks for all the info! See my notes in CAPS.

First, I would advise you on getting some screen recordings of the landing page in question. Hotjar offers a free tier but there are also a number of other services that you can use.

Record some interactions with your page and see if your assumption that people are not continuing to the form page is true. I CAN SEE THE NUMBER GOING TO THE FORM PAGE BASED ON THE “CONVERSION” SETTING IN THE ORIGINAL PAGE.

Second, it’s normal to have a huge drop-off if the form is not pre-populated. It’s a long form and generally speaking visitors won’t fill it out if they don’t have a “burning” need to do so. WE DO PRE-POPULATE.

Third… Have you tried including the external conversion tracking script with your form. It would allow you to push back to Unbounce conversion stats. Depending on your particular setup and where visitors are taken after form submission, it might be a possible solution. Here is a link to the official documentation and script you would need. I HAVEN’T QUITE DONE THAT, BUT I CAN TRACK THE CONVERSION THROUGH OUR CRM SOURCE.

You would also need this Chrome extension to double-check conversions are firing correctly.

Last but not least, you can send a percentage of the traffic straight to the form page. You just need to have the form page as a variant of the main landing page. After that you can set a percentage that would be taken directly to the form. YEP. BUT, IN THAT CASE, IT’S MORE CHALLENGING TO DETERMINE THE CONVERSION RATE … THAT GOES TO ONE OF MY MAIN QUESTIONS. HOW DO I KNOW WHICH STUDENTS CAME THROUGH THE TWO-LANDING PAGE OPTION VS. THE SINGLE LANDING PAGE OPTION? SUBMIT BUTTON IS BUILT RIGHT INTO THE CRM FORM. I GUESS I COULD CREATE A PARALLEL FORM IN THE CRM THAT IS SPECIFIC TO EACH OPTION.

Now onto your 2nd question:

Depending on your CRM, if it has an API you might be able to pull information out of it and display it on the landing page.
However, the above is really dependent on the CRM and would involve a fair amount of coding and testing to get it right. YEA … THAT’S WHAT I WAS THINKING!

Best,
Hristian
[/quote]

Oh, and thanks for the lead on Hotjar. I’m on it!