Pre-filling Form with URL Parameters doesn't always work

• 3 February 2015
  • 1 reply

I’m converting all of my landing pages from an embedded form to a click-through form. Eventually, all landing pages will click-through to the same form page, so I’m using a URL parameter and hidden field to send data about the source landing page. In my case, the landing pages are for college programs, so I have a URL parameter for “program=” that I want to pre-fill the hidden field for “program”. Without this data, our lead nurturing process falls apart.

Currently only a few pages are running the new format for testing. Of those few pages, 2 leads have already came through of the ~200 that did not have the URL parameters passed to the hidden fields. Once I have all the pages converted to the new format, I’m concerned this will become a bigger problem.

I submitted a support ticket and we figured our 2 possible causes:

1. Javascript is disabled for these users or jQuery not supported
  2. Hidden field is being overwritten by automatic form filler

To solve the first problem, it might make sense to load the hidden field values the same way you load the Dynamic Text Replacement. I understand that is done server side, right?

I’m not sure how to solve the second problem. I read you can append “autocomplete=off” to fields to prevent browsers from overwriting them, but I don’t think it will work for browser plugins like 1Password and Lastpass.

1 reply

Userlevel 2

Hi Phillip,

We’ve already gone over some of this in a support ticket, but hopefully I can clarify a little and share with other customers wondering about similar issues.

It’s extremely unlikely that this is caused by users having JavaScript disabled Ð because if they did, they wouldn’t be able to submit the form at all. Also, the version of jQuery that we use supports browsers going back quite a while, so I’d be surprised if it was a browser support issue.

Browser extensions are my best guess, but we don’t really have any way of knowing for sure. I looked into it and I can’t find a way that you can stop your users’ 1Password, Lastpass etc extensions from filling out certain fields. Again, I don’t know for sure whether this was the cause of the issue though.

And, for context, this happened twice out of hundreds of leads Ð it’s definitely an isolated issue.

If anyone wants to chime in with any thoughts, that would be great!