Post form data AND show confirmation dialog - how?

• 5 September 2013
  • 7 replies

I have my form working to submit data to our Microsoft CRM Click Dimensions. However, this only works with the “Post form data to URL” option. I need to send the form data AND redirect the user to a confirmation page. How can I do both?

Without both I have to choose between:

1. show confirmation dialog (but send nothing to CRM); or
  2. post form data but the user has no idea that the form has worked

7 replies

Hey Paul,

When you set your form to “Post form data to URL”, we actually send the visitor from your Unbounce page to the URL you specify. Once their, we no longer have control over redirects and such.

There should be a way for you to add some code to the specified URL and redirect your visitors though. I haven’t done it myself, so I can’t say how, exactly, but I know others have done it.

With Leads360, for example, they let you add a query parameter to the URL which in is turn, where your visitors are sent after they hit your Post URL.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help on this but I hope it least provides some smidge of guidance.

Hi I had the exact same problem, and here’s the solution I came up with:

1. Create an Unbounce page solely for redirecting
  2. Set the ClickDimensions’ form capture’s “redirect on success” link to the newly created Unbounce page from step 1
  3. On the Unbounce page, write some code to use window.setTimeout to change the url to the correct thank you page, based on the referrer url

took me a minute, but I figured out webhooks.

I am having the same issue. Can you please explain how you used the webhooks for this purpose?

Thanks!

Userlevel 6

Hi @Nickydavid using a webhook will allow you to POST the form data to a URL that you specify within Unbounce when setting it up. Our webhooks send the form data as both json and xml to the endpoint it’s pointing to. This is done asynchronously, which means the you can still use the form confirmation dialogue in Unbounce and send the form data to a URL of your choosing.

Here’s our documentation on webhooks for some more info: https://documentation.unbounce.com/hc/en-us/articles/203708344-Integrating-Your-Service-with-Unbounce

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much for the response. I will try it and let you know. Appreciate the help very much.

Can anyone help me with understanding how things work with the ‘Post to URL’ form submission option and ‘Web hooks’? In my case, I get a successful response when I ‘Post to URL’ to the third party API but get a 500 Internal Server Error when submitting using the web hook.
Appreciate your help!